Third Party Press

71/84 Spandau (1888) addition

PJ1946

I am indeed fortunate. Following my recent addition of a Mod 71 Amberg from a collection being liquidated locally I asked if there were any other Mausers going up for auction as I was looking for a 71/84. As luck would have it there was. Looking at it the selector lever did not work and the lifter spoon was stuck in the down position. Anyway despite another bidder I managed to secure the 71/84. The issue tuned out to be a broken selector lever (Thank you Old Western Scrounger - they had 5 in stock) Meantime total teardown and inspection with lots of help along the way from UVF.GEW98 (superglued the broken selector so I could operate the feed and eject while I wait for the part to arrive) All good everything came apart smoothly. Bore a little worn but will see how she shoots. All matching except bolt which matches itself, and a 99 rather than 30 on the detent spring.
For the record
Spandau 71/84 - 1888
Barrel/receiver Serial 5130
Bolt Serial 5763
Stock Serial 5130
Butt stock Marking G.R.S. 2.177
Sorry but not educated enough to decipher all the barrel markings.
Other: Sling Swivel butt stock mounted not Trigger Guard
Hole in Trigger Guard much larger diameter than in my Mod 71 that has the swivel.
Thanks again to UVF for all his help and info during the bidding process and the research he has done along the way. Trouble is now he has me addicted to these Imperials. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_6343.jpg
    IMG_6343.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6338.jpg
    IMG_6338.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6330.jpg
    IMG_6330.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6331.jpg
    IMG_6331.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6323.jpg
    IMG_6323.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6322.jpg
    IMG_6322.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6317.jpg
    IMG_6317.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6341.jpg
    IMG_6341.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9718.jpg
    IMG_9718.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9723.jpg
    IMG_9723.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 40
Additional Picture

Hole difference in trigger guard between 71 and 71/84

Attachments

• IMG_6353.jpg
    IMG_6353.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
You seem too be getting quite the 71 Mauser collection PJ1946 good for you. Even though the bolt group is not matching with this rifle along with some other parts it does have that carried look too it. Rifle has alot of character with it and like the unit marking too.

Thank you for your kind words Warrior. I find the workmanship and Quality of the 71 really impressive. The 71/84 is very well thought out and fascinating mechanically. I am hoping that someone can tell me what the unit markings are. Not much luck searching the web. There is no doubt that the information and reference knowledge on this forum make it a real pleasure to be a temporary custodian of these weapons. This really is a forum to be treasured for its mature and informed members. Makes you want to keep adding these Mausers LOL. Can't wait to shoot this 71/84 though.

It is 43 Mauser or also known as 11mm. (11.15 x 60 R) Rimmed cartridge.

Attachments

• IMG_9721.jpg
    IMG_9721.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    146.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6232.jpg
    IMG_6232.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 33
That is a fantastic collection - you have built up in a very insultingly short period of time!

Took me nine years to find a comparable K71, and I really want to steal the 71 rifle away from you!!!

The 71/84 is going to be great fun to shoot. Glad you found the part you need easily and quickly, more often that is not the case.

I hadn't seen any 71/84's with the butt stock mounted sling swivel before I saw yours.

I searched around a little and found this (closed) auction - butt stock sling swivel, and unit markings to the same regiment as yours

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8086440

Thanks Steve, Hard to believe that the auction was nearly 10 years ago. Great find on the Unit designation. Very interesting. What is also interesting is the " Original Plum Color" on the receiver which as we had discussed was a question I had on mine which seems to have a Plum tint to it on the bolt and receiver. That and the Sling Swivel location is interesting.
Thanks again for all your help.

Still not too sure about that...the butt plate appears to be the same shade.

I wonder if a previous owner applied a cold blue of some sorts to 'protect' it?

One of my 71/84's appears to be blued on the underside of its receiver only (the parts not exposed) whilst the exposed parts are the usual as issued 'in the white'.

Wonder if you are still looking for the trigger guard sling swivel and screw...

Wonder if you are still looking for the trigger guard sling swivel and screw...

Really not too sure Steve. I had read somewhere that some Jaeger units performed a drill that required the Butt mounted swivel and that the trigger guard hole was larger so the the end of the sling was tied off through it. Not to say that this is one of those. Interesting to see the auction you found that seemed identical so that seems to eliminate needing the trigger guard swivel to have the rifle be authentic, Be interesting to research further. Unless the screw is a much larger diameter than the Mod 71 one that I have, it would be a very loose fit

I will have to measure mine...

I think I know where there is a part if you require.

How is the bore looking now?

Wow! Many Thanks for the info. With mine numbered G.R.S.2.177 it puts it not too many rifles away from the one in the listing (G.R.S.2.206). Also it seems have the same features. Again this came from a lifetime collection of a very discerning collector who had something of everything but all of it very nice and a little different.
Well of course this means I really really need to find a "Regular" 71/84 now LOL.

I never even knew this model variation existed - added it to the (ever growing) want list!

I bought one in the mid-90's as a regular 71/84 at a discount since the seller and myself both thought the sling swivel was a bubba addition to the rifle. I forget where I found the reference in a book to the jaeger version, I think it was "German Military Rifles & Machine Pistols 1871-1945": Hans-Dieter Gotz

Military Rifle Journal
Back