Third Party Press

Diopter sight for Mauser bolt action .22

1914mauser

How rare is a late diopter sight for a Mauser 350 B? The type that mounts on the receiver grooves and comes off the left side, then back to clear the bolt and bolt handle. What would one be worth?

Regards,

Even vintage after-market diopters are precious, but if it is factory and Mauser-marked, it is extremely rare.
Steve

How rare is a late diopter sight for a Mauser 350 B? The type that mounts on the receiver grooves and comes off the left side, then back to clear the bolt and bolt handle. What would one be worth?

Regards,

They are very rare, and their very rarity precludes an accurate assessment of value. I have just such a diopter on one of my ES 350B rifles. Since the ordinary tangent sights on those rifles routinely go for several hundred dollars, I should think the diopter would go for even more.

I believe you are referring to the sight on the middle rifle (pictured here from my collection.)

diopters1_zps356673a6.jpg

diopters2_zps1b2c69cf.jpg

BRP

BRP,

This one is like the one in the middle with the exception of not having knobs for adjusting windage and elevation. Instead it has square ends, that require a key like the bottom sight. One like it is pictured on page 87 of Speeds book, Mauser Smallbores.

Regards,

BRP,

This one is like the one in the middle with the exception of not having knobs for adjusting windage and elevation. Instead it has square ends, that require a key like the bottom sight. One like it is pictured on page 87 of Speeds book, Mauser Smallbores.

Regards,

Like the bottom one in this photo?

diopter.jpg

It took an extra day ? terrible pictures

I am thrilled.

Attachments

• DSCF0754.jpg
    DSCF0754.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0755.jpg
    DSCF0755.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0756.jpg
    DSCF0756.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0757.jpg
    DSCF0757.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 40
Quid Pro Quo

The top rifle in my photo is of a Walther Meisterbuchse Olympiaschafte, which was the primary competitor of the Mauser B model target rifles in the 1930's. (Many would argue that the Walther was superior.)

My diopters came through various means: one on eBay (for a paltry $50) one through an internet forum (that one came all the way from Quebec) and the other from a gun show. You just don't see these very often, and as I always have more rifles than sights, I buy them when I can.

BRP

Last edited:
I thought it might be a Walther.

I primarily collect Mauser pocket and vest pocket pistols. I have a modest collection of Mauser .22 rifles because I enjoy shooting them. Like any collector I have researched them and have learned what to look for. I check several Internet auction and gun sales sites almost on a daily basis. I was looking at a pistol and noticed in the sellers other listings he had this sight. I basically found it by accident, as I was not searching for sights. It had a listed price so I jumped on it. It was at a pawn shop in a northeastern state. I also have a ES 350 & an ES 350 Championship example but it appears this sight was specifically made for a ES 350 B.

Regards,

That sight was indeed intended for the B Model Mausers.
And while it is right at home on an ES 350B, it would work equally well on an MS 350B, MS 420B, or a Mm 410B.
It was a very fortunate find!

BRP

I feel very fortunate even though I do not yet have a MS 350 B, MS 420 B or Mm 410 B. I do have a very nice ES 340 B that I think it would also fit on nicely.

Regards,

BRP,

You have some excellent examples and your pictures are very good. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Regards,

BRP,

You have some excellent examples and your pictures are very good. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Regards,

I'm always glad to share what I have learned along the way. Others have been most generous to me with their knowledge, and I am glad to pass that along. You have acquired a rare and excellent sight.

All the best---

BRP

Some better pictures

On my ES 350 B. ES 350 N or Championship model in background.

Attachments

• DSCF0770.jpg
    DSCF0770.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0771.jpg
    DSCF0771.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 28
Here are some diopters from a friend's collection. He has mentioned he might be willing to sell one (or more?) but I don't have the details yet. Will let you know.
Steve

fullsizeoutput_1136 (1024x957).jpg
fullsizeoutput_1138 (1024x768).jpg
fullsizeoutput_1139 (1024x768).jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back