Third Party Press

Waffenfabrik USA MP44

I took a look at his site today, probably one of the only if not THE only US importer of SSD parts? I’ll be picking up my PTR-44 on Monday (assuming NICS is operating during the gov’t shutdown). Hopefully I’m not replacing broken components anytime soon, as this one has an original bolt and carrier. But good to know dingo has items in stock.

Welcome to the site... I purchased a nearly new PTR44 through an estate auction with all original parts mid last year.. Pretty much followed what others have done here save for doing the work myself. It didn't run with a darn all original so I'm glad you're here now and prepared. I'm using an original spring, as per Pete's suggestion installed a buffer in the ferrule and it runs live or blanks great. Enjoy the ride!

After Pete did the work he tested it with an (His) original MP44 spring and all went well. After getting it back from him I installed my original PTR (SSD) spring and was getting slam fires. The simple fix was installing an original Mp44 spring, no more slam fires. It seems that the original PTR44 spring was too stiff for the transplanted MP44 part's. As far as MP44/Stg44 recoil springs being substandard well that's a new one on me.

I know I have read somewhere that German spring mfg later in the war was substandard. Can't remember where though..

Welcome to the site... I purchased a nearly new PTR44 through an estate auction with all original parts mid last year.. Pretty much followed what others have done here save for doing the work myself. It didn't run with a darn all original so I'm glad you're here now and prepared. I'm using an original spring, as per Pete's suggestion installed a buffer in the ferrule and it runs live or blanks great. Enjoy the ride!

Picked up my PTR-44 yesterday. One step closer to owning the real thing (a guy can dream, right? Just need to keep squirreling away cash if one ever comes up for sale) Won't have a chance to take it to the range for a few weeks unfortunately, due to work schedule.

I should have specified "original." My rifle has a WWII bolt/carrier/piston and a WWII spring. I'm guessing that's what you meant by "original."

Can I ask where you found the ferrule buffer, or how you fabricated one?

Picked up my PTR-44 yesterday. One step closer to owning the real thing (a guy can dream, right? Just need to keep squirreling away cash if one ever comes up for sale) Won't have a chance to take it to the range for a few weeks unfortunately, due to work schedule.

I should have specified "original." My rifle has a WWII bolt/carrier/piston and a WWII spring. I'm guessing that's what you meant by "original."

Can I ask where you found the ferrule buffer, or how you fabricated one?

Yes you're correct. For my buffer I modified an AR .308. Speaking of ferrules, I've noticed with mine that dingos and originals squeeze the end of the receiver just enough to catch the bolt handle during recoil.

From their official facebook, April 2017:

Update: After months of waiting for the BATF to approve our submitted sample we received word from BATF that the sample was sent to the wrong department! We sincerely apologize for this delay and we are sending a representative to personally visit the BATF and remedy this situation. Thank you again for your patience, we hope to get this project back on track as soon as possible.

Hmm.

From their official facebook, April 2017:

Hmm.

That's funny ... they said this January, 2018:

"Big news coming soon. We are in the process of restructuring the manufacturing side of Waffenfabrik. The good news is that the project is still happening. Bringing to market the most accurate replica firearms is no easy task, but we are positive that you will appreciate the end result. We sincerely apologize for the huge lapse in communication and once again thank you for your patience. - WF-USA"

No word (a year later...) if the correct ATF dept. reviewed the rifle yet. Unless WF has been informed that it's not approved or that it needs to be tweaked more before being approved and is not sharing this info... hmm. I know ATF can be slow as hell, but I've never heard of it taking well over a year to get a response from a sample submission.

Military Rifle Journal
Back