Painted rifles

fireman

Found these pics while doing some research. Pretty cool

9415416845_f52f8dd4a3_c.jpg

Painted gear.

8164012202_0abdb9ac14_c.jpg

This too, although it is not a K98.

11027823134_3fedf8c6b0_c.jpg

These aren't really painted with paint, but white wash. White wash was a chalky lime powder diluted with water and brushed on for camo - snow doesn't last year round, and it wasn't practical to "paint" weapons like equipment. Even tanks were white washed for winter instead of painted. I have seen 98k's with white wash in the cracks and crevices.

These aren't really painted with paint, but white wash. White wash was a chalky lime powder diluted with water and brushed on for camo - snow doesn't last year round, and it wasn't practical to "paint" weapons like equipment. Even tanks were white washed for winter instead of painted. I have seen 98k's with white wash in the cracks and crevices.

That what i kinda thought. Still pretty cool to see it. I had seen plenty of pics of helmets,vehicles and equipment white washed but not individual weapons or field gear. White washed field gear is interesting.

There is also a "Normandy camo" washed/painted G43 here in Canada, it's been posted on this forum before. Cool legit gun.

I can see a camo or even tan in afrika, as the colors are more consistent. It's bright white that would be less useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some traces of whitewash left under the wood and bands of my 1940 Sauer. Stuff isn't terribly durable, so this is all that is left.

Attachments

• tapatalk_1486360394853.jpeg
    tapatalk_1486360394853.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 200
  • tapatalk_1486360334662.jpeg
    tapatalk_1486360334662.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 178
  • tapatalk_1486360326211.jpeg
    tapatalk_1486360326211.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 154

The interesting thing is, weapons are painted (with oil-based paint) and not white wash, at least that was prescribed.

Later, when I have some more time, I will search for the order and show it.

Painted

My White 98k has a white wash which has been flaking off over the years that is why it hangs in the room because every tine it is handled more comes off. It was brought home by a North Carolina member of Co. E 30th. ID. BILL

Camo k98

I have a 98 jp Sauer 1943 That was camoed by burn marks and a friend has one Normandy painted but only remained in the cracks. The veteran removed the paint. Interesting thread.

Last edited:
I have a 98 jp Sauer 1943 That was camoed by burn marks and a friend has one Normandy painted but only remained in the cracks. The veteran removed the paint. Interesting thread.

Interesting thread, please post some pics of your 98, would love to see it. Welcome to the forum too :happy0180:

Army High Command orders - painted weapons

You are very welcome and thank you for the link. Your G33/40 rifle is great and in addition some history. :happy0180: I borrowed your photo because it fits the theme very well.

Here are two short excerpts of documents, the whole documents are too extensive.

Oberkommando des Heeres Gen St d H . / Ausb. Abt. (II) - HQu. OKH, October 8, 1943

Oberkommando des Heeres
Gen St d H . / Ausb. Abt. (II)

Nr. 3500/43 offen (7)

HQu. OKH, October 8, 1943

Page 6

To IV: The composition of the assault detachment mission, the clothing, the armament, ammunition and equipment of the assault detachment.

In winter, white camouflage suits and white covered leather boots (no felt-boots) are worn for faster walking.
Steel helmets and weapons are to be painted white

Oberkommando des Heeres GenStdH./Ausb.Abt.(II) - HQu. OKH, September 20, 1943

Oberkommando des Heeres
GenStdH./Ausb.Abt.(II)

Nr. 3650 / 43 geh.

HQu. OKH, September 20, 1943

Page 10

8. Camouflage of the weapons :
Heavy grenade launchers, light ordnance, anti-tank guns and vehicles of all kinds get camouflaged in white color.
Rifle, M.P., light M.G. and heavy M.G. only with oil-based paint, otherwise rust after a short time.

IMG_2392.JPG

Interesting thread, please post some pics of your 98, would love to see it. Welcome to the forum too :happy0180:

I can’t but thanks for the welcome. I have been here for 7 years now. Very informative I don’t have much to say or show. Hobo has a picture Of this I sent him. He may send it to you or post it it’s up to him.

Camouflage paint and camouflage paste

Here I have a document with many further details for you.

Panzer-Grenadier Division Feldherrnhalle Ib/ Br.B.Nr. 95/44 geh. - Div.Gef.St., February 11, 1944

Panzer-Grenadier Division
Feldherrnhalle
Ib/ Br.B.Nr. 95/44 geh.

Div.Gef.St., February 11, 1944

S E C R E T !

Special orders for the supply No. 10

I didn't translate this and the following paragraphs

IV. Automotive engineering.

1. ) Camouflage paint for weapons and equipment.

a. ) According to the Guidelines for Winter Training, page 10, item 8, "Camouflage of the Weapons", rifles, M.P., M.G. and s.M.G. only get painted with white oil-based paint.

However, since the procurement of the required quantities is difficult in terms of raw material, white camouflage paste should be used as a substitute.

The white camouflage paste should be diluted with fuel (gasoline, benzene) or nitro thinner for this purpose. At a mixing ratio - 3 parts camouflage paste, 1 part fuel - results in a good covering and spreadable paint. The paint is also suitable for painting greased wooden parts and metal parts.

When diluted with fuel or nitro thinner the camouflage paste is waterproof, when used on painted metal parts it is even oil-resistant and is in no way inferior to the white covering color.

b. ) For vehicles of all kinds, equipment and other weapons, the camouflage paste is thinned with water to save raw materials. When you use it at non-painted metal parts there is a big risk of rusting. Care and attention should be paid to these points.

c. ) The white camouflage paste can be washed off :

aa. ) when diluting the camouflage paste with water, for example on vehicles, ordnance etc. :
with warm soapy water or warm water with soda additive,

bb. ) when diluting the camouflage paste with fuel or nitro thinner, for example on small arms like rifle, M.G., s.M.G. etc. :
with fuel, as long as it is not mixed too much with alcohol or solvents.

I didn't translate this and the following paragraphs

Camouflage paint.jpg

I can’t but thanks for the welcome. I have been here for 7 years now. Very informative I don’t have much to say or show. Hobo has a picture Of this I sent him. He may send it to you or post it it’s up to him.

LJ has a great looking sniper he sent me pics of with a camo'd stock. I will post them this evening. Thanks LJ. :happy0180:

Military Rifle Journal
Back