Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got an AC43 P38

Oh man. sorry to hear this. Over the weekend I shot byf P38 over 25rounds, Same ammo. Win white box 115g no issues. The only thing is I couldn't hit barn door with it. shoots way to low at 15 yards, like 4-5 inches.

Very sorry to hear this happened. The Beretta 1952 had the same problems and our own US Beretta has some slide cracking problems early on. It was the nature of the slide design, which was gradually improved with the P1 and the US pistols making it almost a non-issue.

Even early M1911s without heat treating had an occasional slide fracture. Partial heat treating helped in WW2 and the full heat treated slide became available post war, although used to a small degree as the war was still in progress.

I am not a P-38 guy so I will let you guys that appreciate them do as you please. A valuable collectable P-38 should not be shot nor should a collectable M1911 and/or A1. Even if the chance of slide fracture is one in 100,000 or higher, the risk is likely not worth it.

Here are some pictures of the cracked slide. I have been inquiring on how to make a "silk purse out of a sows ear" at this point. Like MrFarb said, hate to see it taken out of the game. More than one person has suggested that micro welding the crack would be the way to go, and then spot finish the area with a rust blue, and give it a shot. If any of you guys know of a gunsmith you would trust for either of those jobs, let me know. No plans on shooting it again though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave Roberts knows a guy that micro welds, I've seen him fix a safety before that was excellent. I'll direct him to this thread so he can contact you.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Dave Roberts knows a guy that micro welds, I've seen him fix a safety before that was excellent. I'll direct him to this thread so he can contact you.
    Thank you very much! Really appreciate it!

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

This is my friend Andy , he is one of the Best in the business . He has done work for Me and other forum members and his work is Top Notch . He also has a Machine Shop . He is Very capable of almost any repair . For any others that may need a Micro Welder in future I am attaching his information . I just ask that You use my name as the referral . Thank You

NH Micro Welding LLC
    Phone: (603) 759-4793
    Email: aestonge@nhwelding.com
    Web: www.nhwelding.com
    Andy St. Onge
    Owner/Welder
    Phone | (603) 759-4793
    Email | aestonge@nhwelding.com

Dave and Mrfarb, thank you very much. Dave, sent you an email. Once again, thanks!

Dave thanks for info.