Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got an AC43 P38

Default Just got an AC43 P38

Been wanting this one for a while. Bought if from a friend of mine, who has had it since 1956. Bought it when he was nine years old, at a gun show. "Paid the man $17.00" is what he said. How things have changed! Will post pictures later on.

Can't wait to see her! Don't forget to put this on this forum:

www.p38forum.com

The P.38 experts reside there!

Thanks for the link to the P38 forum. Good information there. Took a few pictures. Magazine is numbered, but to another pistol. That is the same magazine that it came with in 1956. Might get an unnumbered one in the future, but it has been there so long. Finish is not perfect, but is the same condition as when purchased long ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thought to update this thread. I have some firearms I shoot, some I do not. Well, I made the mistake of shooting this one. Just wanted to run a magazine thru it, just plain 115gn 9mm. Third shot the slide cracked on the left side. Really sucks, but it is what it is now. Just a weak point I guess. Not sure what to do with it now, but one does take a risk shooting collectibles. My sons plain ole P1 functioned just great!

Sorry to hear that, what 9mm ammo were u using? Can you provide pics of the crack?

Damn - that is too bad.

I shoot my stuff and will continue to do so but am always nervous doing so.
    - also got a P1, to relieve the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by 40ford View Post
    Sorry to hear that, what 9mm ammo were u using? Can you provide pics of the crack?
    Sure, I will post some pictures. I was using just regular Winchester white box, 115 gn plain jane ammo.

That Winchester ammo did that? That is the same white box stuff used at my friends gun store in Greenfield. Its main use is range target practice. Wow is all I can say. Maybe the frame already had a weak point in it years ago. Its possible.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

Wartime P.38 pistols have a flaw in the slide that can lead to this (cracking). Sad to see a collectible taken out of the game like this. It's why I tell people not to shoot valuable K98k's, seen a few cracked wrists that were unnecessary, but as you say it is what it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Sorry to hear that, I shot a box through my first P 38 when I got it, then saw the thread on the P 38 forum about cracked slides. I have not shot it since, and wont shoot my other ww2 pistols either.