Third Party Press

1916 Aldis Scope - Focus Ring Screw & Elevation Dial Screw

hatrick

I just picked up a pair of 1916 Aldis scopes and one of them has the wrong focus ring screw and the the elevation dial screw is snapped of. If anyone has either one of these screws or knows where I may be able to get them it would be greatly appreciated.

Aldis_1.jpg

Aldis_2.jpg

Best regards,
Eric

Hello Eric, which type of Aldis scope is it? I assume that a talented machinist can make a reproduction easily based on being given an original one.

Here are some pics of my two scopes. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated. It's odd that the one that is complete and Holland & Holland marked as well as being numbered and Broad Arrow stamped has a number of empty holes in the front part of the tube. The other one although similarly marked on the ocular bell is definitely a slightly different model. I guess I'll have to look into having someone make those two screws.

IMG_1420JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1421JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1427JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1430JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1431JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1432JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1419JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1423JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1422JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1425JPG-1.jpg

Late, but that's an amazing find you've got there. Those were very fine scopes with exceptional clarity and sharpness of focus right out to the edge of the field. The brass ring lacquered black was probably put around the one tube to hide the hacksaw cuts where the original rings were removed. A gunsmith or owner who was not able or willing to take the scope apart so as to unsolder the rings from the tube, would have to cut them off in this way.

Military Rifle Journal
Back