Third Party Press

ÖWG (Steyr) Mod.71 H-Receivers

I did see it, I added the report sometime ago. I also noted the interpretation, though I am in no position to judge his assertion. He could be right, but most sellers know next to nothing on the rifles and even less on the historical context...

My library is rather focused too, so next to nothing on South America. There are a couple guys on Gunboards-Mauser that are pretty sharp on SA, but I have enough projects underway and no time to add another.

Paul there is another 71 Mauser with the H markings on GB no.730067496. If you haven't seen it would be worth your time to look it is a little different the serial number is 6603 .0 and there is a large E.N. stamped with the H on the barrel and the right side of the stock. The seller states it is one of 500 71s bought for a rebellion in Argentina and lists a couple of books as proof.

Barrel/receiver assembly acceptance

Could the dual stamped letter 'H' designate an early acceptance pattern.
I have a later 'U' block with the Crown/V stamped in both places (where the 'H' is stamped on
the earlier rifles).

The correlation with the later acceptance pattern using the initial of the inspector (assuming)
would support an acceptance pattern rather than any particular issuance.

Attachments

• _DSC8355[1].jpg
    _DSC8355[1].jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 35
Could the dual stamped letter 'H' designate an early acceptance pattern.
I have a later 'U' block with the Crown/V stamped in both places (where the 'H' is stamped on
the earlier rifles).

The correlation with the later acceptance pattern using the initial of the inspector (assuming)
would support an acceptance pattern rather than any particular issuance.

Its certainly a possibility, but at least to date the "H" mark only shows up 1874 and 1875 Rifles in the P block, and a couple scattered O block guns dated 75

OWG w/H

There is a H marked 71 Mauser on GB now. It is on the gray carpet I am sure you know what I mean. It is OWG with the H mark serial no. 5804 P. It has some other interesting marks.

H Marked

One thing I forgot was that this one is dated 1873. I think it is worth you looking at as the stock is well marked.

1875 #6603o is on gunbroker right now. H marked receiver, and H stock cartouche. Similar EN Argentine marks on stock and receiver as the 5804p (which I just bought from the winning bidder, as I wanted a Steyr '71 in my collection,- I'll add anything we didn't catch in the listing pics)

*Disregard on 6603o, somehow missed it on the list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rich times for these.

4247p on GunBroker right now. Limited pics, but barrel and receiver have H stamp. Stock looks sanded and receiver blued. Can't see production year clearly. Possibly 1875.

Also Grey Blanket has 1875 8046o -- H on Barrel and receiver, sanded stock.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back