Third Party Press

ÖWG (Steyr) Mod.71 H-Receivers

Loewe

Moderator²
Staff member
The recent discussions regarding ÖWG (Steyr) made Mod.71 rifles, there appeared several rifles with an unexplained script "H" on the receiver and the barrel and occasionally on small components, rear sight components.

So far these markings are only seen on rifles made by ÖWG (Steyr) in 1874-1875. The purpose of this thread is identify known rifles and if possible to determine possible meanings for the marking. Whether its purpose was military, police or some contractual obligation.

KNOWN I.G.MOD.71 / "H":

1873 Steyr 5804 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/FW unit: n/a (H-receiver barrel & cocking peice) Bolt BF "RC" / acceptance

1874 Steyr 1713 P (I.G. Mod.71) unit: n/a (H-receiver & barrel)
1874 Steyr 1878 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none (H-receiver & barrel)
1874 Steyr 2861 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: n/a (H-receiver & barrel)
1874 Steyr 2863 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: n/a (H-receiver & barrel)
1874 Steyr 4118 P (I.G. Mod.71) (H-receiver, barrel, RS) (Kar66 #15)
1874 Steyr 6104 o (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: n/a (H-receiver & barrel)

1875 Steyr 6603 o (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none (H-receiver, barrel, RS, stock)
1875 Steyr 9066 o (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none (H-receiver, barrel, RS, stock)

1875 Steyr 2730 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none (H-receiver & barrel)
1875 Steyr 2811 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none (H-receiver & barrel)
1875 Steyr 3084 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none (H-receiver & barrel)
1875 Steyr 3184 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none (H-receiver, barrel, RS)
1875 Steyr 3507 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none
1875 Steyr 5595 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none
1875 Steyr 5677P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: none
1875 Steyr 6526P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: n/a
187x Steyr 7213 P (I.G. Mod.71) C/F.W. unit: n/a (H-receiver) (DATE UNKNOWN)

Kar.71

1876-1877 Steyr 5075 E (K. Mod.71) unit: B.6.Ch.3.122 (buttplate flat)(H-lower buttstock)(Peter98)

1876 XXXXF?

I encourage others to contribute examples to this thread to develop a pattern, - this is open to any German rifle with a similar marking or theories some of our German friends may have (who are probably more familiar with German police of the period).

I will stick this thread for the time being, depending upon how it develops.

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I'll add my I.G. 71 for reference though on my rifle it definitely looks like an "H" not a "K" not that the line crosses through the middle and out the other side. The Kar71 I observed also had this same style.

On my I.G. 71 it appear at least 5 times one on the receiver, one on the barrel, one of each of the three components of the rear sight.

My I.G.71
20170304_170845.jpg20170304_170900.jpg20170304_170909.jpg

Kar.71 I observed
l3_collectibles_1876_mod_71_steyr_mauser_carbine_142726.jpg

I just found this today, I.G. 71 sold in 2015, also Steyr, also the same style as my I.G. 71 and also marked in the same 5 places.
img_2356_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Also what I have observed is that on the I.G. 71 rifles I see it, its only appearing on Steyr produced examples and every one I have see is on a P block rifle. The two Kar.71 I've see with it didn't have clear pictures of the serial number but like the IG71 they were both Steyr produced. I have yet to see this "H" marking on any IG71 or Kar71 by any other maker other than Steyr.

I'll update as I locate more. It does so far seem to be unique to the P block (3/9/17)

I.G.71
1713P (no unit mark) (1874 manufacture, no acceptance date)
2730P (no unit mark) (1875 manufacture, no acceptance date)
2861P (no unit mark) (1874 manufacture, no acceptance date)
3184P (no unit mark) (1875 manufacture, no acceptance date) (mine)
5595P (no unit mark) (1875 manufacture, no acceptance date)
5677P (no unit mark) (1875 manufacture, no acceptance date)
6526P (no observed unit mark) (unknown date)
7213P (no observed unit mark) (unknown date)

Kar.71
XXXXF? (unable to make out serial on the one observed example as of yet) (1876)

Last edited:
Yes, please do update as your observations progress. It isn't necessary for these two markings to be related, once more material is accumulated and analysed we can deal with different markings/purposes then (make separate threads if need be). Right now I think it is best to gather examples, the first step to understanding this or discovering a meaning/purpose is to gather examples.

Yes, please do update as your observations progress. It isn't necessary for these two markings to be related, once more material is accumulated and analysed we can deal with different markings/purposes then (make separate threads if need be). Right now I think it is best to gather examples, the first step to understanding this or discovering a meaning/purpose is to gather examples.

Definitely. I'll keep looking, I'm going to ask over on the Steyr board on gunboards, i feel like a similar if not identical marking shows up on some Steyr M.95

I've had two other Steyr P block I.G.71 brought to my attention both with this same marking. Will post pictures once the owner of the rifles gives me the OK

EDIT:
here are these two new additions both of these rifles courtesy of bws1944 over on gunboards

eee.JPG
eeee.JPG

Last edited:
Just found this one, sold in 2013. Another P block with no unit mark. Maybe a pattern developing here.

030_edited-2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Have you more information regarding this M71? Like year and acceptance?

like mine, it just bears the date of manufacture, 1875

I went back and added that info, the others also appear this way, just the 1875 date of manufacture

unless that 1875 is the date of acceptance, because I just found a P block with the "H" that is marked 1874 or were this rifle not linear assembly?
img_2360_jpg_thumbnail0.jpgimg_2338_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

just found this 1875 dated serial 1713P also with the "H"
20161006163543-6414.jpg20161006163549-1972.jpg

7213P unknown date
SDC11064_zps538b2d17.jpg

I have yet to find one with this marking outside of the P block

Im making a file with pictures of those I find

Last edited:
My question was in the interest of adding the rifle to the M71 study going on up top. Steyr is known to have P-blocks in 1874 & 1875, I added both based upon your comments and pictures.

I will consider ways to make a list of rifles with this H marking, though it certainly would be helpful to identifying a purpose first. Craig's extensive knowledge of this period and military would have been incredibly helpful here.

I went through my database of M71's made by Steyr, all P-blocks have this "H", either one or two of them (one or two "H"), all other years-blocks the "H" is absent. It is obviously a special run and unrelated to the LG (rural police) K88's, and as you say is probably something to do with Steyr (ÖWG) production, probably related to a special contract? As none have unit marks, this will be hard to nail down, but perhaps police or other military contract. They have the Prussian cypher, so I suppose commercial is out.

I think this many, all from the same maker and suffix range suggests it is a narrowly applied marking and unrelated to the other similar markings. Perhaps I will separate these and start a new thread for the LG variation and let this thread continue with this subject. Both deserve their own thread, though I may unstick them if they start to idle.

My question was in the interest of adding the rifle to the M71 study going on up top. Steyr is known to have P-blocks in 1874 & 1875, I added both based upon your comments and pictures.

I will consider ways to make a list of rifles with this H marking, though it certainly would be helpful to identifying a purpose first. Craig's extensive knowledge of this period and military would have been incredibly helpful here.

I'll keep an eye out for more, maybe the answer will present itself with time.

I'm questioning the one Kar71 I saw in that these IG71 are all so far 74/75 so before the adoption of the Kar71 and I've not seen a single other Kar71 example. That example is 1876 dated, but I cannot see a serial number on it clearly but it looks to be an F block? http://www.gunlistings.org/washingt...ibles/142726/1876_mod_71_steyr_mauser_carbine

I'm going to ask over on the Steyr forum and see if anyone over there knows anything at all.

So whats clear is these appear only on P block rifles, dated 74/75 (one 76 dated carbine), no unit marks, clearly not commercial, so something intended for? Prussian use. I might out of curiosity take a look at other Steyr produced arms from that date range unlikely as it may be.

I went through my database of M71's made by Steyr, all P-blocks have this "H", either one or two of them (one or two "H"), all other years-blocks the "H" is absent. It is obviously a special run and unrelated to the LG (rural police) K88's, and as you say is probably something to do with Steyr (ÖWG) production, probably related to a special contract? As none have unit marks, this will be hard to nail down, but perhaps police or other military contract. They have the Prussian cypher, so I suppose commercial is out.

I think this many, all from the same maker and suffix range suggests it is a narrowly applied marking and unrelated to the other similar markings. Perhaps I will separate these and start a new thread for the LG variation and let this thread continue with this subject. Both deserve their own thread, though I may unstick them if they start to idle.

If we're not seeing this marking or any of these traits in serial block before or after the P block and thus far it would appear that all the P block rifles received this marking. That would indicate that in all likelihood around 10,000 of these rifles were produced which is a large number for something that doesn't fit with the pattern of all other rifles produced for the Prussian military. To me that would seem to say that these were set aside for a special purpose?

I g 71

I have OWG IG Mod 71 serial 4118 P it is dated 1874. It has the German acceptances and proof it also has the H or whatever it is on the receiver, barrel and rear sight parts.

One on GB now

There is a OWG Mod. 71 on GB now the serial no. is 175 P. The photos aren't the best but you can tell mfg.,serial no. and see the H on it.

Owg 71 w/h

There is another OWG 71 with the H on the barrel and receiver now it is no.719843859. The serial no. is 1878P.

71 Mauser w/H

Paul there is another 71 Mauser with the H markings on GB no.730067496. If you haven't seen it would be worth your time to look it is a little different the serial number is 6603 .0 and there is a large E.N. stamped with the H on the barrel and the right side of the stock. The seller states it is one of 500 71s bought for a rebellion in Argentina and lists a couple of books as proof.

Military Rifle Journal
Back