Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 98 Mauser for sale. Matching, original, BYF 43, Hardwood stock. Nazi markings.

Quote Originally Posted by gtodan View Post
    Guess his get rich scheme fell thru.....
    Try a pawn shop. "Two hundred bucks is the best I can do kid".

If you really think about it the offer of $1100 was more then fair by Nathan. A rifle that was missing parts, was not all matching, and had a problem stock which is the kiss of death too a good portion of collectors. From what it sounds like this rifle was a Russian capture type too me.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

Definitely not a Russian capture. The only problem with the stock seemed to be some cosmo in a few places, notably smack dab on top of the butt-stock proof. I bought a very nice byf43 with all the bells and whistles from D-K last year for $1725, so I used this as my base line. A hood, rod and nice sling would cost me about $225, now we are down to $1500. The floorplate was a factory mistamp (minor problem) and the extractor was mismatched; so, knock a little more off for that. The stock had an undetermined amount of comsmolene on it, but it was definitely there. The overall condition of the rifle was less than the one I got from D-K, but had a walnut stock, so I consider those factors a wash. Finally, the pictures were horrible and the rifle was being sold by a first time poster with no K98k knowledge. That all adds a certain level of risk. $1100 was a fair offer "Drake". I even asked him to hit me with a counter offer. His response, "I think I will just give it to my son, who knows what it will be worth in 20 years." I guess you changed your mind on giving it to your son?

Well at least thats some information too go on for this rifle Nathan. That gives me a hell of a better idea what were looking at. For what you just listed I would be in the same ballpark too offer around $1000-$1100 for a rifle like this.

A K98k in this shape would be a step above your typical bolt mismatch rifle and be good entry K98k rifle for the beginner K98k collector. Not too mention be a good shooter.

But the $1100 is the best deal he would gotten IMO. Your typical gunshop and pawnshop would offer you much.....much less. After all look at the BNZ45 KM I bought last month from a gunshop in Greenfield. They thought it was crude POS and paid the seller what he wanted for it $150. Your dealers at the shows same situation their there too make money.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

Sounds cheap for a walnut byf43 with a factory mistake, but I haven't seen pics of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Maybe Mike but you know how collectors are with messed with stocks. Seems like if a stock has been messed with so to speak alot of them run from it. The factory mistake does sound interesting to me but I have yet to see a picture of it.

Here ya go. I have seen 1's and 7's get mixed up by MO before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So to be clear the only real issue was a mm extractor? If that is the case in my limited knowledge that does seem like a rather low offer. Not trying to step on any toes. I believe we all go through a process when we look at something we want, what is it worth to me? What would I like to pay for it? If the item is legitimate I usually find myself somewhere in between.
    Last edited by maxipum; 03-18-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Seems low to me too, but I don't know if it's low enough to throw a fit over - if I get lowballed when selling I go on to the next buyer and refuse to sell to the lowballer. In this case, the reasons behind the low offer are his to decide and reasoned, but I don't think the next guy would have offered that low. I have bought items because people offered low prices for stuff, I like lowball offers from others, makes my offer look awesome.

By the way, that stock is coated heavily with cosmoline, it just soaked in over the last 70 years. Metal might clean up, but sometimes heavy cosmo micro pits it.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.