Third Party Press

Some k98k Bayonet Info

Bird Blaster

Some k98k Bayonet Info Requested

I ended up finding a mixed lot of bayos and slings for a few of my k98's. The bayo that caught my interest the most was the S/185K and the early 1937 sling to go with my 147/1938. What also came with these two was appears to be an unmarked bayonet and another nice k98 sling (haven't had a close look at it yet).

This is the S/185K

IMG_1474.jpgIMG_1473.jpgIMG_1475.jpgIMG_1476.jpgIMG_1478.jpg

Last edited:
Unmarked Bayo

This one I don't know what I have...I am assuming the worst and that I got a post-war bayo. I do not know much about bayos, so please feel free to chime in.

IMG_1466.jpgIMG_1467.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1470.jpgIMG_1471.jpgIMG_1472.jpg

Nice score on both blades! Beautiful early K dated Elite Diamant and matching to boot! I really like the second one a nice what appears to be a late war commeracial again matching.

Andy

Both original s84/98 ww2 German nice condition too matching getting almost impossible to find the second one so called commercial lacking army waa marks for police, SS, Nazi party I have seen a vet bring back in a RAD labor korp marked frog like it taken from apparently RAD depot by vet. Hopefully Andy B will give his take. timothy

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure what to make of the unmarked one - it just came with the lot of 2 bays and 2 slings. It might end up being fairly interesting!

I ended up finding a mixed lot of bayos and slings for a few of my k98's. The bayo that caught my interest the most was the S/185K and the early 1937 sling to go with my 147/1938. What also came with these two was appears to be an unmarked bayonet and another nice k98 sling (haven't had a close look at it yet).

This is the S/185K

View attachment 144345View attachment 144346View attachment 144349View attachment 144350View attachment 144351

Very nice bayonet and frog. 185 K is hard to find

This one I don't know what I have...I am assuming the worst and that I got a post-war bayo. I do not know much about bayos, so please feel free to chime in.

View attachment 144352View attachment 144353View attachment 144354View attachment 144355View attachment 144356View attachment 144357View attachment 144358

Hi,
this is imo a nice mid war "Behoerdenmodell" S 84/98, but the scabbard belongs originally not to the bayonet.
The grooves on the hook are unsual for a mid war bayo.
It could be an earlier scabbard, or an Portuguese M 937 scabbard.
Is there an acceptance on the ball?
Regards

Bayonets here presented are S84/98 as this is probably the best origin nomenclature.
S/185K is nice matching bayonet, the second one "Behoerden" non WaA proofed could be made in early 1944 or late 43, same opinion about scabbard, could be earlier or a Portugal contract when WaA253 on ball finial.b.r.Andy

Yup Spielkind it appears that you're right, it sure looks like a Waal after posting the 2nd pic. Never having seen a Portuguese bayo myself, what would make you feel that it is one?

AndyH

Yup Spielkind it appears that you're right, it sure looks like a Waal after posting the 2nd pic. Never having seen a Portuguese bayo myself, what would make you feel that it is one?

AndyH

Hi AndyH
yes, this is a Portuguese M 937 scabbard for sure.
The M 937 is absolutely identical to the S 84/98, with the lack of any manufacturer name or code. There are just 2 WaA´s on top of the pommel.
All M 937 have wooden grips.
They were made between 1937 - 1941 in two contracts for Portugal in the Solingen area, and could be easily identified by serial number on the pommel or the crossguard.
The scabbard has just one WaA proof on the ball, like yours. Later ones have a serial no. on the stacking hood.
Just use the forum search and you´ll find some, like this: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?18664-84-98-Portuguese-bayonet&highlight=portuguese+bayonet
or that http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...-comercial-is-it&highlight=portuguese+bayonet
Regards

The bayonet is a late 1943 into '44 Behoerden contract piece made by E & F Hörster.

Last edited:
That K date example is a really nice piece. Matching and in high condition. Let me know if you ever grow tired of that piece.:thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back