Third Party Press

Has anyone seen a German reissue FN M24???

pwcosol

This is something that has been bugging me for many years. When Germany annexed Czechoslovakia and took control of the BRNO & BRUNN arms factories, the Vz24 (SG24(t)) bayonet continued to be manufactured into 1943. Original Czech production was issued out with Vz24 rifles. Both were often subsequently modified in the field to some degree, with change orders issued by the Germans. My question is, what about the FN M24 bayonet? The Belgian military used the earlier M1889 blade bayonet, and later M16/M35 patterns. The M24 was offered for export with FN's M98 model rifles. Since the Belgian military bayonets were not adaptable for the 4cm bayonet lug, they were reissued along with the rifles they were made for.

For whatever reason, FN M24 bayonet production was not continued like it's counterpart from Czechoslovakia. In addition, I have seen modification orders for the Polish, Czech, and Yugo bayonets, but no reference to the Belgian. So, has anyone encountered a pre-WW2 FN M24 bayonet (a.k.a. SG 105(b)) which exhibits signs of WW2 German reissue? Bayonet could be unmodified, or most likely, had the muzzle ring removed and bayonet blued. I know of one example and perhaps the most desirable variant one could imagine. A fellow collector once showed me a minty FN M24 sporting a German blue Luft tropical frog... but it gets even better. On the ricasso of the bayonet was a small stamp which looked like a sideways "E". However, it was the "Gates of Vilnius" marking as seen on some Lithuanian contract, FN M24 rifles, which made the pair a rare bird indeed! IMHO one of the difficulties has been many FN M24 bayonets were produced prior-to and after WW2, for countries around the globe. Now that quantities have come onto the surplus market, a M24 which remained in Europe, and possibly saw service during WW2, is not easily distinguished and is more or less camouflaged among the others...avoiding all but the most dedicated collector's attention. What say you...?

Last edited:
I have a Model 1916/24 that has had the muzzle ring removed and the serial number added to the riches and the wooden grip. No bluing of the blade.

It sounds like the sideways 'E' you described is the Pillars of Gediminas.
Pat

Possible the FN had no large quantity of storages of M1924 export bayonets, and some of the main workers brought the planes of when the plant was captured by germans(Vanderlinden book), i assume germans did have already enouhg capability of K98K production so they used FN more for parts and pistol production. German and russians captured major FN production in Balticum states and germans in Yugoslavia and Greece.b.r.Andy
PS on russian forum there was few weeks ago a FN scabbard german shortening of first Yugoslavian contract, and a Sleepwalker of German forum have some of the FN contract shortenings in his collection, some are Lithuanian, majority are yugoslavian M24.

Last edited:
Thanks Pat for the correction & Andy. Yes, I have seen what appear to be both Belgian and German modifications to the M16/35. I also posted on another Forum the German modification order for the Belgian rifles in German service, to have the bayonet lug modified with a second latch cut on the bar. Since the Belgian bayonet latch cut is on the opposite side of the 4cm bar, adding the second cut allowed use of both Belgian and German bayonets. I believe Andy is correct regarding the availability of the FN M24 bayonet. FN likely only had small quantities on hand and would produce the specified pattern and quantity only after a confirmed contract agreement with the purchaser was reached.

Last edited:
From the book of Vanderlinden and of various other books, the Modell16/24 is wrong designation, correct is M16/35 for M1935 or M1889/36 rifles.The MRD was reduced to 15.5mm because of new barells added. In 1924 were not done any reworks for belgian army.b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back