Third Party Press

German/Finn depot rifle...

rockisle1903

I recently had a chance to get a rifle a back that I had once owned and sold not really knowing what it was...In it's current state, it is 1941 dated Finn rifle, import marked discreetly on the barrel...But before it was a Finn rifle, I believe it had cycled through the German depot system where it got a blued bolt, a rear sight leaf in the white, and a butt plate in the white also...All numbers are restamped to match after the part was scrubbed of the old number...Stock has the proper cartouche/inspection for the year made, but has no German markings as far as I can tell...If the mods don't believe this is the proper place, feel free to move...Here are pics...Thanks for looking and comments welcome, Mike

Attachments

• a1 009.jpg
    a1 009.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 77
  • a1 010.jpg
    a1 010.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 73
  • a1 011.JPG
    a1 011.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 75
  • a1 013.JPG
    a1 013.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 68
  • a1 012.jpg
    a1 012.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 56
  • a1 014.JPG
    a1 014.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 60
  • a1 015.jpg
    a1 015.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 57
  • a1 016.jpg
    a1 016.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 68
  • a1 017.jpg
    a1 017.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 69
  • a1 018.jpg
    a1 018.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 52
  • a1 019.jpg
    a1 019.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 49
This is the perfect place to post this. Very cool, I believe this is what you say it is. RyanE will be along to verify. I think the inspection mark at the wrist is a German stamp. Circle 57? Thanks for sharing.

Wish I could find a Finn with blued bolt and star markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Font looks about right, so that's probably what it is. Lack of stock inspections hurts it a bit though.

Thanks for the comments...It will probably be a LONG time (probably never) before I find a non-Finnish version of one these, so this one will have to do for now..Thanks again, Mike

Looks good all the way around Mike, congratulations.
I've seen these with serial number styles (more rounded) that don't hew perfectly with what is frequently seen, so I wouldn't worry at all about that. I have one I bought a few years back with all matching components that is numbered in a more rounded style.

That's an interesting stamp shown in photo numbers 8 and 9. I don't/wouldn't know if it's Soviet originally, or if it might be a German applied stamp, in lieu of a typical depot stamp or the double star markings that these are frequently seen with. If it's German, that could explain why there are no stars on this stock, and I also wouldn't expect a butt plate to be switched out and then numbered to a different rifle in just about any but the most uncommon circumstances.

Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back