Third Party Press

The Grey Shyster strikes again....

8x57mauser

Cant say I'm exactly surprised.

The Grey Blanket just pulled this one off. jhv 42 G98/40 "All matching except the bands at bayonet lug" I'm willing to bet the fore stock is also mismatched and that the gun is a sporter rescue if you notice the difference in coloring between the buttstock and fore stock.

As per usual for his auctions two guys got into a pissing match in the last hour driving this rifle to $1,425, with the win going to the guy with only 3!!! feedback.

For reference I bought my G98/40 a couple weeks ago, bolt mismatch and floor plate mismatch but otherwise the rest is 100% matching and honest and I only paid $650 winning bid for mine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/627400575

Pictures saved here for posterity.

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 29
Gunbroker has been crazy lately is all I have too say. Too be honest if you wanted too get rid of a nice item now would be the time too sale.

Gunbroker has been crazy lately is all I have too say. Too be honest if you wanted too get rid of a nice item now would be the time too sale.

no kidding. I watched a ground mum, missing dust cover, mismatched safety Type-99 sell for $527 last night....ooooo but it had a Mon-O-Pod

Thats it! I remember one sold last year for 3,558.00 that had too be a record.

That Type 99 Arisaka had a bayonet plus scabbard, and a flag with 83 bids for that piece. The big selling point was an old tag stating it was a bring-back from Okinawa in 1945. The tag had too have been real! I mean who would buy a tag and write Okinawa on it too make a better selling point?

Don't know how he does it...this reminds me of the Nazi proofed lebel not long ago...altho to be fair I was watching a duffel cut 1910 obendorf last nite I thought 1050$ was prob reasonable for that rifle .

Was watching that one and have been watching 98/40s, 35m's, and 43m's . That rifles got the sight hood which is a plus and it's nice having the sling to go with it. Those two items can cost you 300 alone......If you can even find the hood. Stock looks OK to me but I'm definitely not qualified to be definite about that. Odd about the mismatched bands , some of these Hungarians come with a strange array of mismatched parts for a reason I don't know. 42's and 44 98/40's have been going pretty high for the past year, matching or not. 35m's are ridiculous to. I have been wanting to get one for a long time but I don't feel like getting taken to the cleaners on gunbroker which is where I have only been seeing them. Also the bigger question to me is where is the seller getting these things from? He has sold close to 15 Hungarian mannlicher action rifles in a span of a year and half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
...Odd about the mismatched bands , some of these Hungarians come with a strange array of mismatched parts for a reason I don't know...

I think the Hungarians used some G98/40's postwar and did a conversion to bottom sling configuration. They added a sling swivel to the lower band and added a sling attachment to the bottom of the stock near the butt plate. You have to check to make sure that there isn't a hard-to-notice dovetail repair where the bottom attachment once was on a G.98/40. That is another reason why the bands can be non-original. That and the possibility of a repaired missing duffle cut fore end are my best guesses for why the fore end metal parts would be mismatched.

Military Rifle Journal
Back