Third Party Press

DSM 34 ID and value?

paul s

Picked this rifle up this week end. Good condition and complete, the safety as been repaired. What's the translation of the crest? Value ? Any info is appreciated. Thanks, Paul S.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 148
Green heart DSM34. That's a Zella-Mellis consortium made rifle. The logo on the receiver is an advertisement for the area.
Basically saying buy quality products from the area the "green heart" of Germany.

Value ??? need to see the whole rifle. Also any marks on the stock. Basicly is 300.00 - 4k its a big range.

I have a 1935 dated travel guide in English that has this add posted in it.

Last edited:
Full pic, No markings of any kind on the stock. Serial #61xx, shoots good!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 115
Full pic, No markings of any kind on the stock. Serial #61xx, shoots good!

Nice sound complete rifle un-messed with and with a sling. When I sold mine I think I got 1500.00 for it. Added stock markings IE
S/A or SS would add 2x to the price or more..

trainers are funny sometimes they don't bring squat other times big bucks. It's all about knowing the market and finding the right buyer.
Greenhearts aren't that common and some guys will pay a premium for them. Im one of them.

There are also two different variation of the receiver markings. Where the Deuteches Sportmodell is placed. Is it on the left or right side ?

here is the period Walther Green Heart ad.

1935 dated English text tourist guide.

Attachments

• WALTHER%20SPORTMODEL%201.jpg
    WALTHER%20SPORTMODEL%201.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 43
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 35
From what is shown in the pictures it looks to be a nice rifle. My valuation would be around $1,200.00. I have never sold any of my Greenheart trainers though. For that matter, I haven't sold any of my training rifles.

Your Greenheart was one of the latest ones made by this Zella-Mehlis consortium, as their serial numbers only ran into the 6400 range evidently. HOWEVER, the assembler for this group (Hermann Weihrauch) continued to produce some after the other members of the group left this project and went on to RWM contract production of other arms and materials (around the end of 1935). Weihrauch began marking the receiver tops with their own logo, and shifted the serial numbering up to about 20,000 to produce another two thousand or so.
The very first of these (and only very few) may have been assembled at Venus Waffenwerke, prior to that role being assigned to Weihrauch. Venus made the butt plates, trigger guards, and some other small parts for these, and the company's owner/director Wilhelm Foss was the leader of the Greenheart consortium who signed the group's contract with Mauser for manufacturing rights for the DSM. As with the DSMs from the consortium in Suhl, Greenheart DSMs show barrel signatures showing that a number of participants contributed some work to components supply for these trainers. There were notably fewer consortium players involved in Zella-Mehlis, however.
Hope this helps you out.

Steve

here is one variation of the green heart receiver.

Serial # is on the opposite side of the receiver.

Attachments

• gh2.JPG
    gh2.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 62
  • gh3.JPG
    gh3.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 54
  • gh4.JPG
    gh4.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 58
  • gh5.JPG
    gh5.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 50
  • gh6.JPG
    gh6.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 40
  • greenheart.JPG
    greenheart.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 42
Also, should mention that Weihrauch sold some DSMs to at least a few small gun dealers that had no receiver top marking or address line on the left side (they did have the mandatory "Deutsches Sportmodell" marking on right side). At least one has been seen without any dealer's marking on it, and another one marked by Ernst Kerner of Suhl with his auerhahn logo and "E.K.O." on receiver crest. Kerner probably purchased that from Zella-Mehlis for a customer because of Haenel having finished with DSM production already in Suhl. As mentioned above, Weihrauch continued to produce some of these after the Zella consortium had ceased making them as a group.
Steve

"Also, should mention that Weihrauch sold some DSMs to at least a few small gun dealers that had no receiver top marking or address line on the left side (they did have the mandatory "Deutsches Sportmodell" marking on right side). At least one has been seen without any dealer's marking on it," Luftmacher

Steve:

I actually acquired one of these unmarked DSM34's years ago and still have it. I have always been curious about it's pedigree, especially since I could never find any reference to such a critter until I saw your post. Thanks.

Last edited:
"Also, should mention that Weihrauch sold some DSMs to at least a few small gun dealers that had no receiver top marking or address line on the left side (they did have the mandatory "Deutsches Sportmodell" marking on right side). At least one has been seen without any dealer's marking on it," Luftmacher

Steve:

I actually acquired one of these unmarked DSM34's years ago and still have it. I have always been curious about it's pedigree, especially since I could never find any reference to such a critter until I saw your post. Thanks.

Would love to know where your example fits into the serial numbering range, if you would be willing to share that info?
Steve

Hello Steve:

Here are a few photos of my orphan DSM 34, including one that shows the serial number:

h7MKosCh.jpg

l7auplkh.jpg

Rz7JXWih.jpg

You'll notice that unfortunately it's missing the safety.

Can hardly wait for Simson & Co.'s reference book on these small bore rifles. Jon Speed's book on Small Bore Mausers, didn't get into too much depth with respect to the other German manufactured small bore rifles. and then there's the Book on
Karabiner 98k Volume II Rifles to look forward too. :)

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks very much for posting the photos! Makes perfect sense and fits the mold -- Zella-Mehlis proofed, serial number at end of the Z-M consortium assembly, no address line. Just prior to Weihrauch beginning DSM production on their own in a new s/n range and independent of the consortium. Historic moment, and rare example. Many thanks again!

The trainer books are on their way to Simpson LTD at this time -- should arrive about any day now.

Steve

Steve:

Thank you for the information on my orphan DSM34, and also for the "heads up" on the new Simpson German Training Rifle book availability. I actually have several other of these German small caliber training rifles that need to be documented, or rather authenticated.

Larry

Military Rifle Journal
Back