Third Party Press

Sniper scope and four scope cans, authentication help please!

Texasbadger

These came in the mail yesterday off an internet purchase from old collector who changed interests. Got it all at decent price but did get inspection period on the cans. I think perhaps two of the four are authentic but I know zip on these, one is minty and the paint has been cleaned off the waffenampts. So what do you guys think? I kept photos as organized as possible in order 1, 2, 3, 4, but apparently was standing on my head,,,,,I hate iphones!

Attachments

• Cans1.jpg
    Cans1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Cans2.jpg
    Cans2.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 93
  • Cans3.jpg
    Cans3.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Cans4.jpg
    Cans4.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Cans5.jpg
    Cans5.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 71
  • Cans7.jpg
    Cans7.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 77
Cans II

Ok I flipped the photos over even though they orient fine on phone and computer, sorry guys
WELL HECK! I GIVE UP!

Attachments

• Cans8.jpg
    Cans8.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Cans9.jpg
    Cans9.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Cans10.jpg
    Cans10.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Cans12.jpg
    Cans12.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Cans13.jpg
    Cans13.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Cans14.jpg
    Cans14.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 61
#1, #2 and #4 are fakes. I think #3 is good but would want to see some more detailed photos to be sure.

Steve, I find the easiest way to judge the cans is by the webbing of the strap. Based off the photos I don't think any of them are good.
They get the can's near perfect but they cant seem to replicate the straps. That's a good thing. If the weave looks like a GI duffle bag strap leave it alone. They may have even used them for all I know. Get clear photos of # three's strap please.

Cans

Thank you guys, I trust your opinions, what are good fake cans selling for these days, Im going to mark the inside of lids REPRO with engraver, if I keep them.

Im not sure ? go on the French guys site who sells them. I think 100.00 bucks..
is the scope and mount post war Czech ???

Photos #3

Here are requested photos of #3 why dont we pin this to the top for a bad can thread,,would be handy at the shows?

Attachments

• Cans15.jpg
    Cans15.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Cans16.jpg
    Cans16.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 73
Strap

That strap is not like the strap on my other cans. I will admit it leaves room for doubt. It would have to be a personal call when you have the scope can in hand. If that can is a fake then the fake scope can makers are getting better. Thanks for posting more pictures.

Here are requested photos of #3 why dont we pin this to the top for a bad can thread,,would be handy at the shows?

yikes.. didn't like It one bit but, Im not a sniper expert so I was treading lightly and the photos sucked. the others were one look horrible.

As I said the weave of the strap is the easiest way to tell. Don't even look at the metal.

Yes with these extra pictures I agree, they are all fake, sorry. Value, $100 or $200. I am sure some shooters may be interested.

yikes.. didn't like It one bit but, Im not a sniper expert so I was treading lightly and the photos sucked. the others were one look horrible.

As I said the weave of the strap is the easiest way to tell. Don't even look at the metal.

The strap is one way to determine originality but not always best. The weave on some of these was pretty close (except the green color). Usually the fakers mess up on the jvb and waff stamp on the lid. Construction is also very key (especially on ZF4 metal cans). Here are some pictures of a original I use to own.

High Turret Can (1).jpgHigh Turret Can (2).jpgHigh Turret Can (3).jpgHigh Turret Can (4).jpgHigh Turret Can (5).jpgHigh Turret Can (6).jpg

Thanks again guys!

Seller cooperated fully in settling the matter to both our satisfaction. So out comes the dremel tool, engraved R in a circle inside lip of each can, then sharpie penned the grooves. Off to the new Cleburne Tx militaria show this weekend, the first of many of these shows I hope.

Attachments

• badcans.jpg
    badcans.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 45

Military Rifle Journal
Back