Third Party Press

Who made this stock

wayne51

I started a thread at another forum in Nov 2014 about a German k98 I have with a nice fitting stock. What I didn't get answered was who made the stock and when accurately. Also there was info given about where I could get a stock that better matches the gun. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7211.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7210.jpg
    IMG_7210.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7252.jpg
    IMG_7252.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7258.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I have never seen one with that inlet in the barrel channel. No proofs of any kind I can see. Perhaps Israeli or French post war? Yours being a byf 44 no suffix block would more than likely be a laminate stock with the disc in the butt and stamped bands with retainer spring.

I have never seen one with that inlet in the barrel channel. No proofs of any kind I can see. Perhaps Israeli or French post war? Yours being a byf 44 no suffix block would more than likely be a laminate stock with the disc in the butt and stamped bands with retainer spring.

Right must be manufacture error, it serves no purpose. Also non blued channel/bayo lug metal.

Last edited:
Here's an Israeli I had that I converted to KM, looks very similar.

Attachments

• IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 31
Does it have the non blued bayo lug part? Whats the proper name for that part, just wondering.

'Bayonet lug' is good. Fox-military makes SKM variants based on your order. Sure looks like it could be one of theirs.

It did, but not too deep, the IDF stocks are about 10-15% thicker than a typical k98 stock. They have significant overhang of the BP etc. That extra can be sanded off, certainly to within flush with the hardware as yours appears. I sanded the pictured one a whole lot. Of course that still could be a repro out of Europe as was suggested, the bolt cutout is different than an IDF, of course it could have been opened up too, who knows. Reading back on your post though I am leaning away from IDF, if the inletting looks good and fits well that no longer sounds like IDF as they have crap inletting.

I guess it will never be nailed down accurately as to origin as there are millions of war and after war and repros around. Thanks for the help and until further info is available I'm leaning towards a post war repo. I was told at time of sale that it was late war Czech :facepalm:

Wayne

It did, but not too deep, the IDF stocks are about 10-15% thicker than a typical k98 stock. They have significant overhang of the BP etc. That extra can be sanded off, certainly to within flush with the hardware as yours appears. I sanded the pictured one a whole lot. Of course that still could be a repro out of Europe as was suggested, the bolt cutout is different than an IDF, of course it could have been opened up too, who knows. Reading back on your post though I am leaning away from IDF, if the inletting looks good and fits well that no longer sounds like IDF as they have crap inletting.

Then I'll agree not IDF as I have a war issue true k98 stock to compare with I bought at a gun show recently and they same thickness.

Military Rifle Journal
Back