Third Party Press

Help on a byf44 k98

JakeLumpy

I recently purchased this Mauser and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I have. There are a couple of oddities about this rifle. So far I believe its a kriegsmodell because it does not have a bolt disassembly ring in the stock or a cleaning rod (it also cannot accept a cleaning rod). There are a few things that seem strange to me though. The end of the barrel is not right, it looks like someone switched out the front sight. there are also no markings on the barrel that I can find any information on, plus there are some strange markings on the bottom of the receiver that I can't find any information on. If anyone can help me figure this out I'd really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpg
    IMG_3689.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3675.jpg
    IMG_3675.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3674.jpg
    IMG_3674.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Interesting. I like your set of rifles there, it's neat to have all three of those to compare and contrast and think about.

The stock doesn't have the take down disk yes but it also doesn't have the hole in the butt plate for that, which a late stock ought to have. Are there any markings on the stock anywhere? I'm sure one of the guys that is into the early K98's will know what the barrel markings mean but the eagle acceptance stamps look to me like pre-war WaA acceptance stamps. That "S" also looks familiar and various "S" markings have been discussed all over the forums here. If you can get pictures of the markings on the other parts of the rifle that will help too. Do you know anything of the history of it? It's possible that it is a "restored" rifle, made out of a sporterized bring-back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B block of byf 44 is too early to be missing a cleaning rod and bolt takedown setup in the stock. Someone has switched the stock for the one it currently has.

The front sight has certainly been replaced as it sits too close to the muzzle. Perhaps a cut down inter war era Gew 98 barrel or early Sauer K98k? Others can probably tell more from the barrel code. Perhaps a sporter rescue done with parts on hand as was suggested.

Last edited:
I recently purchased this Mauser and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I have. There are a couple of oddities about this rifle. So far I believe its a kriegsmodell because it does not have a bolt disassembly ring in the stock or a cleaning rod (it also cannot accept a cleaning rod). There are a few things that seem strange to me though. The end of the barrel is not right, it looks like someone switched out the front sight. there are also no markings on the barrel that I can find any information on, plus there are some strange markings on the bottom of the receiver that I can't find any information on. If anyone can help me figure this out I'd really appreciate it.

May be a post war Czech rebuild. That stock looks post war

Interesting. I like your set of rifles there, it's neat to have all three of those to compare and contrast and think about.

The stock doesn't have the take down disk yes but it also doesn't have the hole in the butt plate for that, which a late stock ought to have. Are there any markings on the stock anywhere? I'm sure one of the guys that is into the early K98's will know what the barrel markings mean but the eagle acceptance stamps look to me like pre-war WaA acceptance stamps. That "S" also looks familiar and various "S" markings have been discussed all over the forums here. If you can get pictures of the markings on the other parts of the rifle that will help too. Do you know anything of the history of it? It's possible that it is a "restored" rifle, made out of a sporterized bring-back.

These are the only other markings on the gun, besides the markings on the bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 46
The numbering on the stock for me says Czech rebuild. The barrel and sight base seem to be from an older gun, prior to the lettered maker I.D. scheme. One would expect a gun with muzzle damage to just be counterbored so not sure what's going on with the muzzle there. I think basically it is a rebuilt rifle then, using a byf44 receiver, pre-war barrel and rear sight assembly, and post war Czech made stock. Can you show us the markings on the bolt, and what the trigger guard and magazine bottom plate look like?

The numbering on the stock for me says Czech rebuild. The barrel and sight base seem to be from an older gun, prior to the lettered maker I.D. scheme. One would expect a gun with muzzle damage to just be counterbored so not sure what's going on with the muzzle there. I think basically it is a rebuilt rifle then, using a byf44 receiver, pre-war barrel and rear sight assembly, and post war Czech made stock. Can you show us the markings on the bolt, and what the trigger guard and magazine bottom plate look like?

All the markings on the bolt are German, and the trigger guard and floorplate are definitely not original. Theyre painted black instead of blued.

Military Rifle Journal
Back