Third Party Press

Helmet transportation

NathanLM

Has anyone had to move their collection? I'm up to 11 or 12 nice helmets that I won't send with the movers so it's going in my car. Does anyone have any tips on containers to use and/or methods of packing?

When I moved years ago I used bubble wrap and some foam sheets that were at work, put them in cardboard boxes and plastic containers with newspaper stuffing to keep from moving around.

Chuck

Nathan,
Yes. Use bubble wrap sheets and standard USPS boxes, the 12x12x8, they are perfect for German helmets. Don't tape them up, just overlap fold them closed and you can unfold them and store them flat if you need them to ship, etc.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse...&categoryId=shipping-boxes&productId=P_O_BOX7

You can also pack them in those big plastic storage bins. Put a layer of bubble wrap on the bottom and around them. Place the first two or three on the bottom, then a layer of bubble wrap and the next ones on top upside down. The key is bubble wrap. Best bet is each helmet in a box and write what it is on the outside. You can stack, store, whatever. I also put mine in clear plastic small garbage bags first in the event of water/rain. Easy and cheap.
Cheers,
HB

Thanks for all the ideas. I ended up using large cube boxes that fit 6 helmets each. Each helmet went upside down in a paper grocery bag and then I formed the bag lightly around the shell. I used large bubble wrap to separate helmet layers and popcorn to fill space. Gotta protect my babies! Now for the damn rifles...

I don't know yet. I have limited space in my small car. All rifles are already in gun socks or soft cases. I may just roll them up in two comforters. Was looking for large flat storage bins that would hold 4-5 rifles but haven't found any long enough.

We should put together a forum group by on bore stores. I think they would help in a move tremendously. I also need them for my dang safe.

When you figure it out, let me know. One conversation I would love to have with a police officer is why I am driving with lord knows how many rifles and pistols in my car. I may make some type of custom rack for my truck bed.

All good advise as much to protect the paint from banging other surfaces scratched a luft once not padding it I personally only moved guns at dark less chance of nosey neighbors and thieves seeing me even if it was out of town or just across town same on them padded to keep stocks protected. timothy

Last edited:
I don't know yet. I have limited space in my small car. All rifles are already in gun socks or soft cases. I may just roll them up in two comforters. Was looking for large flat storage bins that would hold 4-5 rifles but haven't found any long enough.

This is what I do. Old comforters and some green wool Army blankets I have. I think you can put 4-5 in a manageable roll with a comforter folded length wise and they should have plenty of protection.

Military Rifle Journal
Back