Third Party Press

Byf42 project rifle off gunbroker.

NathanLM

I grabbed this matching rifle for the price of a bolt mismatch. Plan is to reblue the bands and floorplate and replace the unnumbered parts entirely. I see a lot of potential.

Attachments

• IMG_3506.jpg
    IMG_3506.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 180
Definitely a worthy project. Other that the harsh strip job on some of the metal, what's wrong with it? How did they describe it if you don't mind my asking? Bluing on the barreled action and bolt look good and that's a nice piece of lumber too! :thumbsup:

Are the parts plated or just stripped?

The bayo lug definitely looked like it's plated, but I didn't think so because it looks like some of the original red primer at 10 o'clock of the lower screw and around the bottom of the upper screw. Some of the other parts do look plated too though.

Definitely a worthy project. Other that the harsh strip job on some of the metal, what's wrong with it? How did they describe it if you don't mind my asking? Bluing on the barreled action and bolt look good and that's a nice piece of lumber too! :thumbsup:

Rifle was simply described as matching. No mentioned was made about the pimped parts. This auction went the full period without interest before I bartered a deal offline wirb the seller. Other than the plated/stripped parts, the rifle is fantastic. Good blue throughout, great bore, great wood and no dufflecut. I will get the parts out for closet photos when I have the time.

Those parts would be a good canidate for a rust blue. I have used this brand rust blue before, and more than pleased.

http://www.rustblue.com/ Used their Swiss formula on a K31, and if you follow the instructions, very nice.

Hmm very interesting. I will likely send the parts to someone that knows what they are doing. Not me

Gents,

I sent the nickel plated parts off to a professional to have the nickel removed. The parts, as far as I can tell, are completely stripped and down to bare metal. However, the guy that was going to blue them for me said he won't do it because they were once nickel plated. Does anyone know someone that can do the job right? In 42 the Germans used a hot dip process right? I want this job done right or not done at all and I will sell the rifle as a project. Any advice ya'll can offer is greatly appreciated. I'm not ready to give up on the project, but I would hear offers if anyone wants to take it on.

Military Rifle Journal
Back