Third Party Press

1915 Spandau Gewehr

denali77

I just recently acquired this 1915 Gewehr. As it is my first Gewehr, I am looking for any information that can be provided. The rifle has matching SN with the exception of the bolt and butt plate. The rear of the stock has been repaired so the butt plate may have been replaced at the time of the repair. Stock is marked with same number as other parts so I would guess that it is original/ Unit disk is marked with what I believe to be 68.R.11.11 with a proof mark. I am interested in any history that may be attributed to this unit. I am also interested in all of the other markings on the metal and wood. I have tried to research them but have not found much (unlike markings on my Enfields). Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places. Thanks for looking. Would love to hear from other forum members.

Attachments

• Gew98a.jpg
    Gew98a.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Gew98b.jpg
    Gew98b.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Gew98e.jpg
    Gew98e.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Gew98h.jpg
    Gew98h.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Gew98g.jpg
    Gew98g.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 42
It is unlikely the stock is original to the rifle, unit marked wartime rifles are very rare, especially line regiments. Take the stock off an observe the internal serial number. These pictures are not especially helpfiul in an evaluation, but taking some of the small parts may offer more information. Also the barrel code under the stock could be useful.

It is unlikely the stock is original to the rifle, unit marked wartime rifles are very rare, especially line regiments. Take the stock off an observe the internal serial number. These pictures are not especially helpfiul in an evaluation, but taking some of the small parts may offer more information. Also the barrel code under the stock could be useful.

I could not find any internal serial number on the stock. I attached pictures of the barrel/receiver under the stock. Could the unit disk be "right" for the rifle? What other pictures would be helpful in evaluating the rifle? I will take as many pictures as you are willing to look at. As this is my first Gewehr I want to learn as much as possible. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMGP0363.JPG
    IMGP0363.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 28
  • IMGP0364.JPG
    IMGP0364.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP0367.JPG
    IMGP0367.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 35
You are dealing with old dudes that do not have young eyes... upload larger and clearer pictures?

The stock only shows the disc, we would have to see the acceptance on the stock (wrist and right side buttstock and lower buttstock) to figure out the stock maker. Try and take large & good (clear) pictuires of the markings on the stock (and the barrel code you show here)

Military Rifle Journal
Back