Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 1940 KM combat vet

Default 243 1940 KM combat vet

Salty old 243 1940, fleet marked disc, original KM stamped sling. Not pretty, but matched to the lock screws ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My full-on definitely "I've seen the elephant" rifle is also a Borsigwalde - mine 1937, Heer. Dented floorplate with minimal blue remaining in some spots, whilst wonderful blue on receiver. Large dent on forearm and onto handguard, similar dent to butt at the disc.

Just OOZES history.

Shame it's a bolt MM (only), but still one of my favourites (was for sale recently here, but I withdrew it).

I have some better pictures of it somewhere (these are the original cruddy auction pics). Might get around to a photo shoot this weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid

amazing how you find all this stuff hambone!

Default 243 1940 km

Hi Hambone:
    Nice rifle HB. I wonder if there is some way of knowing what those
    "N" and "O" property numbers on the disassembly disc mean? Surely,
    someone must have some info on this (maybe in Germany?).
    Tks,
    Bob

Craig what do you mean she is not pretty, looks stunning to me. GR

I'm with George, it's nice. As collectors we like really nice condition stuff- but once you have that really nice stuff, you start looking for something more. These combat wear guns are attractive, and often attractively priced. There is a difference between combat wear and wear and tear, once you figure out the difference you start liking them.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Default KM

A KM is the one hole in my collection. The reason is they are hard to get in any kind of condition. This one ain't mint but it is better than most you see. Matching is the mountaintop on these.

P.S. Did you take that pic during a solar flare..... I bet it would look even better in standard lighting....
    Last edited by jack944; 07-11-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Tks guys. Bob, the N is Nordsee (North Sea) and the O is Ostsee (East Sea) for the respective fleets and that is the peculiar KM weapon number on the disc. It indicates the weapon is property of the North Sea fleet and is number _______ in their system. It's usually blazing hot here. I will take more pics and post them. I had plenty of this rifle that were lost when the Gunboards upgrade regrettably eliminated our pic reference posts.

Default 243/1940 km

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Tks guys. Bob, the N is Nordsee (North Sea) and the O is Ostsee (East Sea) for the respective fleets and that is the peculiar KM weapon number on the disc. It indicates the weapon is property of the North Sea fleet and is number _______ in their system. It's usually blazing hot here. I will take more pics and post them. I had plenty of this rifle that were lost when the Gunboards upgrade regrettably eliminated our pic reference posts.
    Hi Hambone:
    I knew about the Nordsee and Ostsee abbreviations, but I always thought that
    the numbers following the letter stood for a particular ship or shore station. If it
    stands for a particular number in their system maybe it could be "de-ciphered"?
    Just a thought since the Germans were so thorough with their records.
    Tks,
    Bob

Both are very nice, I love the carryed look.