Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S/147 1937

Default New S/147 1937

I recently picked this rifle up off GunBroker and wanted to get some pictures posted of it. I was pleased with it in hand, the bluing and finish seem better than the auction pictures. I've been looking for an early rifle to add and the wood on this one got me, love that early walnut. All matching minus the bandspring (from a G code Mauser so not a bad placeholder) and the front site is unnumbered, in looking at it more closely it does have a witness mark strike on the blade, could this be a field Armourer type repair? Or postwar? The bands and floorplate show a lot of finish loss but I don't see anything that looks like they were scrubbed with steel wool or cleaned with something but I'm open to other opinions. The handguard has a glue repair that was nicely done at some point, I don't think you see it unless you are looking for it. Overall I thought it a nice carried piece but still in nice shape.

It was interesting, I searched old posts for pictures (there is not a 1937 in the pic sticky reference section), there are a few but it seems this is one of the less common code/dates, although I suppose that's true of any early rifles.

Comments or concerns appreciated.

thanks, Nick

pic01.jpgpic02.jpgpic03.jpgpic04.jpgpic05.jpgpic06.jpgpic07.jpgpic08.jpgpic09.jpgpic10.jpg

Last edited by DWM1915; 05-21-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Nice looking rifle. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes great looking rifle you have there nick. Nice having a pre-war year. Like the Weimar eagles. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Really nice, good reference piece too. I have an early Sauer stock with 114/115 and 49 proofs on it with the sideways fractur "S". I knew it wasn't a K date stock but now I know it falls between G date and 1936 at least. Love the early rifles.

Nice early one nick!
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

The stock set I have has all matching metal with sn's, but the band spring has no sn on it, just a droop eagle 114 and the fracture S.

Nick, clean out your PMs.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    The stock set I have has all matching metal with sn's, but the band spring has no sn on it, just a droop eagle 114 and the fracture S.
    Interesting, and what great stock set to have! It looks like both Mauser and Sauer went with unnumbered band springs initially and then changed in 1936 (Mauser may have been a bit later than that I think?), sounds like your stock set pre-dates 1936 and falls in one of the G date variations. I'm hoping to find one of these early Sauer band springs to replace the Mauser one in mine and make it a bit more correct.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAR View Post
    Nick, clean out your PMs.
    Thanks, done