Third Party Press

K98 1915 Erfurt?

Hi all, bringing this back up because o was starting to look at maybe replacing the stock on this. I was having a hard time figuring out exactly which stock I needed. I thought I was looking for a K98a but wasn’t sure what the difference in stocks were as far as swivel band, stacking or non stacking. Was looking for the correct one and was hoping you guys could help out. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your stock is original, generally people do not replace original stocks. Mostly for two reasons. One it doesn't help value; second Kar.98a are notorious for fit issues. (98a stocks are tight fitting, when swapping them they generally do not fit the actions well, especially with hanguards attached)

To replace the stock will almost for sure lower its value to the value of the sum of parts and second finding a stock that will fit well will take and act of god (or hand fitting). Generally I have found swapping 98a stocks to be a lot of trouble and never worth the effort. The kar.98a is one rifle you need to buy the way it was made or reworked... you do not buy them for restorations or projects unless you are competent with woodworking (and have the stomach for experimenting with hundreds of dollars worth of wood - all of which if it works without a hitch will not increase the value of the rifle beyond the sum of parts)

Really there are two reasonable options when collecting the Kar.98a, buy original rifles that need no "work" or love the rifle as it is. It's like a marriage, - know what you are getting into without any illusions of "changing" it or be prepared to be very disappointed.

Your stock is original, generally people do not replace original stocks. Mostly for two reasons. One it doesn't help value; second Kar.98a are notorious for fit issues. (98a stocks are tight fitting, when swapping them they generally do not fit the actions well, especially with hanguards attached)

To replace the stock will almost for sure lower its value to the value of the sum of parts and second finding a stock that will fit well will take and act of god (or hand fitting). Generally I have found swapping 98a stocks to be a lot of trouble and never worth the effort. The kar.98a is one rifle you need to buy the way it was made or reworked... you do not buy them for restorations or projects unless you are competent with woodworking (and have the stomach for experimenting with hundreds of dollars worth of wood - all of which if it works without a hitch will not increase the value of the rifle beyond the sum of parts)

Really there are two reasonable options when collecting the Kar.98a, buy original rifles that need no "work" or love the rifle as it is. It's like a marriage, - know what you are getting into without any illusions of "changing" it or be prepared to be very disappointed.

Thanks for the response. I love the rifle the way it is but I don’t know much about weapons that aren’t US made. Everyone I’ve talked to so far about this until now tells me that putting an original full stock on it will increase the value. This is the reason I asked about it but if it’s not going to help it any, I will leave it as is. Thanks again

Naturally it does matter who you talk too, - replacing the stock will cost at least $200 if the stock set is worth having. Then you will have an ill fitting mismatched stock instead of a original cut down stock.

If your goal is to increase the value then buy a new stock set and keep your original stock, then you will do no harm, the baseline value will rise but odds are excellent you will not have improved your bottom line value. The cost of the stock you buy will not be recovered fully in the pursuit of a better rifle. (you will probably spend more than it will increase value)

Mismatched parts added to a rifle increase value to the degree the parts are of value, - the value of the sum of parts - when you go to sell such a rifle it is generally true you are better off splitting up a project rifle.

Anyway, I am not trying to dissuade you, but in my experience you can't fix sporterized rifles, sometimes you can make them better, but economically it is far cheaper to buy a rifle that you do not need to "fix". They cost more up-front but you can't change the nature of a rifles originality anymore than you can change a persons character.

Thanks for the response. I love the rifle the way it is but I don’t know much about weapons that aren’t US made. Everyone I’ve talked to so far about this until now tells me that putting an original full stock on it will increase the value. This is the reason I asked about it but if it’s not going to help it any, I will leave it as is. Thanks again

Naturally it does matter who you talk too, - replacing the stock will cost at least $200 if the stock set is worth having. Then you will have an ill fitting mismatched stock instead of a original cut down stock.

If your goal is to increase the value then buy a new stock set and keep your original stock, then you will do no harm, the baseline value will rise but odds are excellent you will not have improved your bottom line value. The cost of the stock you buy will not be recovered fully in the pursuit of a better rifle. (you will probably spend more than it will increase value)

Mismatched parts added to a rifle increase value to the degree the parts are of value, - the value of the sum of parts - when you go to sell such a rifle it is generally true you are better off splitting up a project rifle.

Anyway, I am not trying to dissuade you, but in my experience you can't fix sporterized rifles, sometimes you can make them better, but economically it is far cheaper to buy a rifle that you do not need to "fix". They cost more up-front but you can't change the nature of a rifles originality anymore than you can change a persons character.

I think I may keep this one as is and in the future, I may look to buy a complete rifle. Thanks for taking the time to explain to a newbie.

Military Rifle Journal
Back