Third Party Press

Unsporterized early Mauser DSM 34

Deejay

Miracles do happen from time to time : I was eventually able to get a replacement stock, complete with handguard, upper and lower bands, pins, stacking rod and buttplate for my 1934 Mauser DSM 34.

8VFRmzZh.jpg

pKRALDth.jpg

Ht50SkPh.jpg

The "new" stock differs only slightly from the"old" one, the most obvious difference being the square cut-out in the stock below the bolt handle, which is rounded on the Mauser stock.

VMJBtEyh.jpg

The hole for the trigger is also smaller on the "new" stock.

noyE6O3h.jpg

An eagle - genuine or fake ?

qOuiN3Lh.jpg

The serial number stamped inside the barrel channel of the handguard might give some indication as to the origin of this stock, which cannot possibly be a Mauser one.

5c3XENuh.jpg

I was puzzled by the presence of a small Wehrmacht (?) eagle and a Waffenamt stamp (WaA845 or WaA815 ?) underneath the disc - do you think they are legitimate on this stock ? The Waffenamt stamp looks more like the ones used on the metalwork of K98k's.

sAdp1Xnh.jpg

DSC_1019.jpgDSC_1020.jpgDSC_1060.jpgDSC_1022.jpgDSC_1021.jpgDSC_1036.jpgDSC_1041.jpgDSC_1044.jpgDSC_1026.jpgDSC_1031.jpgDSC_1045.jpgDSC_1056.jpgDSC_1053.jpgDSC_1040.jpgDSC_1065.jpg

Last edited:
A detail I have just noticed : my first guess would be that this is a fake SS marking - what do you think ?
From what I was able to read and see here and there, this would be one of the typical faked SS markings commonly encountered on nazi firearms, which would explain the weird Waffenamt stamp on the stock.
A good thing these markings are not too conspicuous!

lJ58B1lh.jpg

kHQiIgoh.jpg

So, apparently this marking did exist and was used on NSDAP stuff, but that still does not explain the presence of the WaA815 Waffenamt stamp, which would point to Steyr/Graz as the maker of the stock ! However, a schöner, alter WaA 815 Schlagstempel was sold on ebay in March of 2015, and it was not the only one to be sold there along the years...

jZ1vdvn.jpg
dlSYtor.jpg

Last edited:
My 2 cents

the stock serial number would narrow it down to late BSW gun

The markings are most certainly spurious and further evidenced by having been applied over a refinish

That said you did good to get it returned to original configuration (sans markings)

I hope you did not have to pay a premium for the markings.

Thank you for answering my questions and confirming my suspicions about the markings.

No, I didn't have to pay any premium for the markings, as I had never been told about them in the first place. That said, I didn't get the stock and metal fittings for free, but I do not regret a single euro I spent on this stock - it was a unique opportunity for me to restore the rifle to its near original condition. From what I have understood, original replacement stocks are not easy to find...

Losing track of which stock is which but, I was under the assumption only mauser stamped serial #'s in there stocks where rest used pencil or didn't # them at all..???

The stamps are fake plain and simple as has been said already.

Stocks do differ slightly between makers. Also between the dsm34 and 36.

The upper handguard looks as though its right hand side had been rather crudely refinished (too wide to fit the stock, I suppose) ; I had thought it might have been a K98k handguard originally but K98k handguards seem to be shorter than the ones found on DSM 34s...

Good Point

Losing track of which stock is which but, I was under the assumption only mauser stamped serial #'s in there stocks where rest used pencil or didn't # them at all..???

The stamps are fake plain and simple as has been said already.

Stocks do differ slightly between makers. Also between the dsm34 and 36.

Generally true. Whether factory or post factory applied, the only gun that SN could apply to is a late BSW however.

One thing for sure, there are no absolutes.

Military Rifle Journal
Back