Third Party Press
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bayonet collection focus'

Default Frog or no frog

I keep the frogs that I think were original to the set. I separate them because I think the frog creates a risk for the scabbard. Given that I apply a light coat of oil, I do not want to damage the frog. There are a few that the frog just will not come off without damage so those stay on.

I tag the frogs with the identity of the bayonet from which they came, and store them separately.

Also, I can display more bayonets in the same space if the frogs are removed.

And another question, how does everyone keep track of what they have? I started with a spreadsheet, but I switched to a matrix that I keep posted on line, which I can access from anywhere. Before I did that, I passed on a few I should not have, and picked up a few I wish I had skipped.

And leave one or two for me at the next SOS also.

Very nice collections pictured here, my pictures is a mixed staff, but mainly german.b.r.Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Very nice collections pictured here, my pictures is a mixed staff, but mainly german.b.r.Andy
    What country do the large gold bayonet's on the upper left come from?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAR View Post
    i know exactly what you are saying but, another issue for me is the export. At this point I pay a 40% premium on exchange and about $400/rifle in import fees/duties. It makes a bolt mm not worth it in a hurry. The other thing I like is g/k mags and 8mm Ammo. Both are tough
    To import/export. Bayos would be something that can flow freely worldwide. Would be nice to have something easy. Haha

@Unutt and KKW22cal
    I agree 44 Bayos are the most common for the most part and maybe more collected. I would likely just do codes and not minute variations. Thanks for the info.

@Slash
    Thanks for the excellent info, as usual. This would be a long term sideline.
    At least my 44fnj isn't the easiest on the list!!

If also considered getting one bayo of the corresponding year for each rifle I have with a bayo lug. I'm. It sure if that's a better idea to get a spread or not.
    Ah yes did not think of it as a supplement because of the new import laws. Well, in that case you could follow me down the never ending and expensive rabbit hole of helmet and uniforms ��

Default Helmet and uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    Ah yes did not think of it as a supplement because of the new import laws. Well, in that case you could follow me down the never ending and expensive rabbit hole of helmet and uniforms ��
    I collected helmets in the 80s. I still have 8 or 10. In those days, a decent field helmet cost 50 or 75, and the repros were not that good. Now I would be scared to death to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAR View Post
    Theres also the debate of frog or no frog. I typically shy away from some leather.
    To avoid the inevitable damage to the scabbard's finish caused by the chemical reactions between the leather and the metal I remove all frogs. If the frog is or appears to be original to the piece I tag it for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Unutt View Post
    And another question, how does everyone keep track of what they have? I started with a spreadsheet, but I switched to a matrix that I keep posted on line, which I can access from anywhere. Before I did that, I passed on a few I should not have, and picked up a few I wish I had skipped.
    I keep the collection spreadsheet in Numbers accessible across all the devices and stored/backed up to iCloud. Seems to work pretty well.

Default Tracking system

Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    I keep the collection spreadsheet in Numbers accessible across all the devices and stored/backed up to iCloud. Seems to work pretty well.
    That must be some kind of spreadsheet. As much information as you have collected, I can only imagine what kind of hardware you have.

German Pioneer Faschinenmesser M1871. b.r.Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    German Pioneer Faschinenmesser M1871. b.r.Andy
    Very cool. How uncommon are they?