Third Party Press

Bayonet collection focus'

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
I've always liked the odd bayo but never collected them.

I was tossing around the idea of collecting the makers from 44.

Is this doable? A huge undertaking?

What do you advanced collectors focus on? Anything nice? Certain makes, certain years, etc??

Thx for the info.

44 makers

That question could take awhile to answer.

There were 16 makers in 44. Two changed codes during 44. Two utilized scabbards from another supplier. Many makers changed grip material, in some cases several times. Coatings changed, digits were left off for short periods in some cases, some scabbard and bayonet dates were mismatched. It would take some time just to make a list of the different variants.

Plus, there seem to be more collectors of late war examples than early/mid war examples. That might just be my perception.

It is addictive. I call it bayocaine. A fix only lasts a little while, and then you start working on the next one.

k98.free.fr is the best online reference that I am aware of. This forum is also an excellent reference. Lots of knowledge in the collectors that hang around here also.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I seem to run into 44 bayonets more often than I run into pre/early war examples. I also run into more collectors for late war bayonets.

I collected 44 date bayos at one point, most of them are easy a few are very tough/expensive. I finally figured out that I could buy a bolt mm 98 for the price of some of the scarce bayonets, that's when I stopped. decided just to collect phosphate.

It is certainly doable but it will take some time to acquire a complete set of matching examples in collectable condition. As Unutt mentioned there are also a myriad of variations some of which are quite scarce and very difficult to source. In general, 1943 and 44 dates are more common (especially in the United States) than any of the other years of production.

Relative rarity of 1944 dated S84/98 by maker/code based on serial numbers extensions and examples produced. Listed from least to largest number produced. Only the most common variations are included.

44pyy - Berg & Co. (second code)
44cvl - WKC (rivet grip variation only)
44cqh - Clemen & Jung
44fze - F.W. Höller
jwh44 - Staatliche Waffenfabrik
44ddl - Josua Corts
44agv - Berg & Co.
44.cul - Ernst Pack & Söhne
ab44 - Mundlos AG
44sgx - E.u.F Hörster (second code)
44asw - E.u.F Hörster (rivet grip variation only)
bym44 - Maschinenhaus Ferlach
44ffc - Friedrich Abr. Herder und Söhne
clc44 - Richard Abr. Herder
43/44asw - E.u.F Hörster (double date variation only)
44crs - Paul Weyersberg & Co.
44fnj - Alexander Coppel GmbH
44cvl - WKC
cof44 - Carl Eickhorn
44asw - E.u.F Hörster

44 variations

WOW, great list. I was hoping you would respond, Slash. I hope you don't mind, but I cut and pasted it into a word document so I can study on it.

Last edited:
I collected 44 date bayos at one point, most of them are easy a few are very tough/expensive. I finally figured out that I could buy a bolt mm 98 for the price of some of the scarce bayonets, that's when I stopped. decided just to collect phosphate.

i know exactly what you are saying but, another issue for me is the export. At this point I pay a 40% premium on exchange and about $400/rifle in import fees/duties. It makes a bolt mm not worth it in a hurry. The other thing I like is g/k mags and 8mm Ammo. Both are tough
To import/export. Bayos would be something that can flow freely worldwide. Would be nice to have something easy. Haha

@Unutt and KKW22cal
I agree 44 Bayos are the most common for the most part and maybe more collected. I would likely just do codes and not minute variations. Thanks for the info.

@Slash
Thanks for the excellent info, as usual. This would be a long term sideline.
At least my 44fnj isn't the easiest on the list!!

If also considered getting one bayo of the corresponding year for each rifle I have with a bayo lug. I'm. It sure if that's a better idea to get a spread or not.

Last edited:
WOW, great list. I was hoping you would respond, Slash. I hope you don't mind, but I cut and pasted it into a word document so I can study on it.

Thanks and no worries Unutt. Much greater detail on production numbers and variations will be in the book.

The book

Keeping in mind how old I am, do you have a publish date on the book yet? I have been fantasizing about it for a year or two now.

@Unutt and KKW22cal
I agree 44 Bayos are the most common for the most part and maybe more collected. I would likely just do codes and not minute variations. Thanks for the info.

If you are just going to do codes, you should be able to find most of them pretty easy (for some reason I still have not found a decent clc44, but that is another story), depending on the condition you want. The higher on Slash' list you see an example, the more you can expect to pay. If you try to get pyy or sgx (not so high on the list, but everyone wants one), you might pay 500+.

It is addictive. And be sure to post your finds. Everyone here likes to ooh and ahh. Especially me.

Last edited:
In the beginning I tried to find a bayonet from all the maker, regardless from wich year it was made. Then I like the commerzial, and now I like the early S-coded ones. Have always wanted to have more from late war period, but it is difficult here in the north. As other have stated this hobby is additive, and I have got the "bayocaine", and buy everything I can get hold of. Condition is important of course. Happy collection:thumbsup:

Collecting 44 variants is a lot of fun, and there are enough variants and variations to keep one interested for a lifetime. I cannot wait for Slash to get his book published, I feel from what I have seen here and from messages that it will be THE last word on SG84/98's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I ammased a collection of s84/98 the 44 dates themselves are common but when you get into the rarer maker codes that is a different matter I sold about 30 misc ones a lot of 44 dates I kept a few from 42 to 44 the 45 of course are tough to encounter much sought after. timothy

Keeping in mind how old I am, do you have a publish date on the book yet? I have been fantasizing about it for a year or two now.

I do not have a date Unutt. I'm hoping for the end of the year but new information keeps coming in. At some point I'm just going to have to draw a line. Trying to put out as complete a product as possible. Thanks for all of the support from members here and elsewhere ....

Quote Originally Posted by KKW22cal View Post
I would love to obtain some 45 dated pieces as I have no examples from that year.

Join the club. I think there are only a few matched examples known to exist.

1945 dated bayonets are excruciatingly rare. Less than 10 matched examples have been recorded. Even single piece bayonets or scabbards are nearly impossible to locate. Far less than 50 pieces in total are confirmed. A matching 45crs with sharpened blade but otherwise in very good condition sold at this year's SOS for nearly $5000 USD. The German collector who took it home stated it was "bargain priced." If you ever have an opportunity don't hesitate ....

I remembered seeing that piece there Slash. Lot of money for a blade, but if your a collector that has waited many years too find one I guess that doesn't matter.

Military Rifle Journal
Back