Third Party Press

Bayonet collection focus'

Frog or no frog

I keep the frogs that I think were original to the set. I separate them because I think the frog creates a risk for the scabbard. Given that I apply a light coat of oil, I do not want to damage the frog. There are a few that the frog just will not come off without damage so those stay on.

I tag the frogs with the identity of the bayonet from which they came, and store them separately.

Also, I can display more bayonets in the same space if the frogs are removed.

And another question, how does everyone keep track of what they have? I started with a spreadsheet, but I switched to a matrix that I keep posted on line, which I can access from anywhere. Before I did that, I passed on a few I should not have, and picked up a few I wish I had skipped.

And leave one or two for me at the next SOS also.

Very nice collections pictured here, my pictures is a mixed staff, but mainly german.b.r.Andy

Attachments

• germanylv4.jpg
    germanylv4.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 73
i know exactly what you are saying but, another issue for me is the export. At this point I pay a 40% premium on exchange and about $400/rifle in import fees/duties. It makes a bolt mm not worth it in a hurry. The other thing I like is g/k mags and 8mm Ammo. Both are tough
To import/export. Bayos would be something that can flow freely worldwide. Would be nice to have something easy. Haha

@Unutt and KKW22cal
I agree 44 Bayos are the most common for the most part and maybe more collected. I would likely just do codes and not minute variations. Thanks for the info.

@Slash
Thanks for the excellent info, as usual. This would be a long term sideline.
At least my 44fnj isn't the easiest on the list!!

If also considered getting one bayo of the corresponding year for each rifle I have with a bayo lug. I'm. It sure if that's a better idea to get a spread or not.

Ah yes did not think of it as a supplement because of the new import laws. Well, in that case you could follow me down the never ending and expensive rabbit hole of helmet and uniforms ��

Helmet and uniforms

Ah yes did not think of it as a supplement because of the new import laws. Well, in that case you could follow me down the never ending and expensive rabbit hole of helmet and uniforms ��

I collected helmets in the 80s. I still have 8 or 10. In those days, a decent field helmet cost 50 or 75, and the repros were not that good. Now I would be scared to death to buy one.

Theres also the debate of frog or no frog. I typically shy away from some leather.

To avoid the inevitable damage to the scabbard's finish caused by the chemical reactions between the leather and the metal I remove all frogs. If the frog is or appears to be original to the piece I tag it for reference.

And another question, how does everyone keep track of what they have? I started with a spreadsheet, but I switched to a matrix that I keep posted on line, which I can access from anywhere. Before I did that, I passed on a few I should not have, and picked up a few I wish I had skipped.

I keep the collection spreadsheet in Numbers accessible across all the devices and stored/backed up to iCloud. Seems to work pretty well.

Tracking system

I keep the collection spreadsheet in Numbers accessible across all the devices and stored/backed up to iCloud. Seems to work pretty well.

That must be some kind of spreadsheet. As much information as you have collected, I can only imagine what kind of hardware you have.

Some of them are uncommon,as pioneers are not so frequentant as infantry or artillery. its a heavy tool with sawback. range is about 700-1000€ when matching and good condition, worser condition about 500. b.r.Andy

Attachments

• Pfm71.jpg
    Pfm71.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 43
Excellent topic and lots of sage advice. Kind of a bit late coming to the dance, but was engaged in other endeavors these past three weeks or so. Regarding "collecting '44 dates", I set out on this path back in the mid-1980s. This initially began with wanting to get at least one of each manufacturer of the Kar98k. I settled on 1944 because for the most part, it was a the largest production year for several of the makers and thus it would likely be the easiest manufacturing year to secure excellent, matching examples. Since "ax" and "duv" had terminated production by 1943, I had to settle for rifles made in 1941 and 1942 respectively. Same issue with "ar"...the '44s are Oberndorf assembled from left over parts, so went with a "straight" factory "ar43".

So what has this to do with '44 S84/98 T3s you ask? In the grand scheme of things, my intention was to get one bayonet in commensurate condition, and of the same year of manufacturer, as every German rifle I had. This was relatively easy to accomplish. However, with the emphasis on 1944 manufacturer Kar98k's, it spilled over onto the bayonets for that same year. Once again, in the main, many firms produced huge numbers in that year, and thus minty examples were readily available. In addition, there are a number of interesting sub-variants (different finishes, code/date combinations, subcontract scabbards, etc.). Though it took me longer than I had hoped, I finally crossed the finish line about seven years ago, and am pleased to say I have all the major '44 date slots filled to my satisfaction. If you want a real challenge, try that with S-codes!

Two other issues centered around bayonet storage and frogs. Concerning storage, I used to keep each bayonet in a old, clean sock and ensconced in ammo cans. About 20 years ago I discovered U.S. Government Surplus sales and the DRMO system. Before things changed which more or less forced out the majority of freelance buyers at open auction, I was able to secure a number of either Stanley Vidmar or LISTA industrial storage cabinets. Now the bayos are both easily accessible and I maintain a modicum of security as well.

As for the frogs, my preference has always been to remove them if possible, and store separately. Some few bayos came with frogs that to remove them likely would result in damage to the stud hole, and so they remain where they are. Removal of the frog(s) allows for a thorough cleaning of the scabbard and frog as well. Since the frogs are a sub-collection unto their own (if you saw my series of submissions on frogs, this is evident), but it alleviates me from having to acquire a frog for every bayonet I have! Lastly since most collections are a work in progress, we are constantly looking for upgrades. Not keeping a frog on each bayonet also cuts down on having to remove or replace a frog when the need arises, and sparing the frog from additional stress in doing so.

Attachments

• Listadwd90cm.JPG
    Listadwd90cm.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Display

I love the lista cabinet, but I am thinking the wife would bow up if I tried to bring one in the house. It was tough enough to float the display cabinet. Plus, I like to look at them. I don't touch them often, but I see them all the time.

I love the lista cabinet, but I am thinking the wife would bow up if I tried to bring one in the house. It was tough enough to float the display cabinet. Plus, I like to look at them. I don't touch them often, but I see them all the time.

Of the two, my preference is for the LISTA. This is because they are metric. The drawers come in seven sizes, and so it is easy to determine drawer height combinations. The cabinet pictured has 90cm of drawer space, and was outfitted with 9 drawers x 10cm each. The cabinet to the left is composed of 2 15cm & 2 30cm drawers. Regarding the first cabinet, a friend bought something like 25 of them in one lot at a Nellis Air Force Base auction in Nevada. He ended up taking about 8 of the best cabinets, all the drawers and abandoned the rest (which he was not supposed to do). The cabinets came with either one drawer, two, or none. So, when he got them home, he built up three cabinets with nine drawers each (and had two left over as spares). He kept one, I got the "buddy" price for mine, and the third cabinet got sold to cover the cost of the entire lot.You can still find deals if you go to the U.S. Government DRMS website and are fortunate to live near one of the many miltiary facilities these typically come out of. Sadly, not much one can do about a reluctant wife...

Last edited:
Sadly, not much one can do about a reluctant wife...

I probably made that sound worse than it is. I have four display cabinets, 40 to 48 inches wide, more than seven feet tall and about 15 inches deep. One is filled with bayonets, one is filled with military helmets, one is filled with fishing reels, and one is filled with a combination of what is left from the first three. They are all in one guest bedroom which she calls the museum. I should not complain.

I do like Lista cabinets, however. High quality and high capacity.

Military Rifle Journal
Back