Third Party Press

Dutch M95 German Modified

usbeef

A German modified Dutch M95. This example is all matching except for the cleaning rod. The stock is matching in the channel and the handguard is numbered on the contact surface underneath. Under the washed out Hembrug cartouche is the letters "Sch", does anyone have any idea what that means? I couldn't find it on any other Dutch M95 that I seen online. The sling cutout looks just like that of a K98 and the rear band was reshaped and turned sideways. The original rear swivel was removed and plugged. The buttplate has two sets of numbers which are apparently Dutch rework serial numbers. Is that truly the case? The rifle came with the attached sling. The only marking I found on the sling was on the button, it looks like a head with two horns on top as pictured. Anyone think there is a chance this is the original sling that came on the rifle?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 51
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 52
More pictures.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 50
Here is a surrender pile with a modified M95 circled in red. Notice the plugged swivel and the cutout in the stock. Another Dutch M95 among many in the picture has the swivel removed but no plug.

Attachments

• modm95.jpg
    modm95.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 108
Wow I had no idea this picture was already discussed. I ran into it on gunboard's and just happened to look closely at the Model 1895 and sure enough there was the rifle I just bought. I wasn't sure anyone had noticed that the M95 was modified. Previously I had seen the other known picture of the modified M95 in use by Kriegsmarine coastal artillery units. I thought that was the only one I was going to be able to find until I saw this picture. If the cleaning rods were used, do you think the Dutch cared about matching the number on the cleaning rod with the number on the rifle when they were done? haha

Most that I've seen are bolt-only mismatches. Mine is modified just like yours.

In early 1934 Bavarian Police and Reichswehr units disarmed the Austrian SA Ober-Gruppe XI.
All the Austrian guns (4.558 rifles, 4.511 carbines) were stored separate from their bolts in different Reichswehr warehouses. End of July 1934 the Germans decided to put them back together.
If they took care about matching numbers?
I don't think so.
Probably the same with the Dutch and other booty rifles when modified in larger scales.

Last edited:
I have the Dutch carbine with German mods, wish I could find the rifle. I have a German modified bayonet for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I had no idea this picture was already discussed. I ran into it on gunboard's and just happened to look closely at the Model 1895 and sure enough there was the rifle I just bought. I wasn't sure anyone had noticed that the M95 was modified. Previously I had seen the other known picture of the modified M95 in use by Kriegsmarine coastal artillery units. I thought that was the only one I was going to be able to find until I saw this picture. If the cleaning rods were used, do you think the Dutch cared about matching the number on the cleaning rod with the number on the rifle when they were done? haha

That discussion faded into the background, as do all after enough time. I agree with your observations regarding that pile. That photo is fascinating and the clarity and resolution makes it possible not only to identify particular weapon types, but even recognize modifications (as you did), which can't be said for the vast majority of pics like that. It's a great one.

In early 1934 Bavarian Police and Reichswehr units disarmed the Austrian SA Ober-Gruppe XI.
All the Austrian guns (4.558 rifles, 4.511 carbines) were stored separate from their bolts in different Reichswehr warehouses. End of July 1934 the Germans decided to put them back together.
If they took care about matching numbers?
I don't think so.
Probably the same with the Dutch and other booty rifles when modified in larger scales.

Agreed, and your example reminds me of the ground deposition of captured Polish bolts that had been separated from the rifles, with only a sketch and general details to aid in recovery later on by Wehrmacht personnel. It explains some things!

Pat

I forgot I had saved this photo. I don't remember where I saw it or if it was attributed to any particular location or year, but it appears to show a soldier with a captured Dutch M1895 Mannlicher. I'm not absolutely sure, but it appears from the angle that the forward sling attachment point is at the 9 o'clock position, as seen on the captured M1895's in question. I'm even less sure about there being a sling slot cut-out on the stock, but it does look like there is a spot in the correct location on the right side that might be one.

FWIW, it looks like a southern European location.

Pat

Attachments

• f8d412ba5661be91258d4f8d516eebf3.jpg
    f8d412ba5661be91258d4f8d516eebf3.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for that Pat! I agree, there is no question the sling is mounted on the side and it does look like a change of shade where the sling cutout would be. Either way the sling is on the side so the cutout has to be there. This makes the 3rd known picture of the modified Dutch M95 in period pictures. I wish we could find some kind of context behind these photos and find out a location. This is certainly south European. Italy? I wish I could identify their uniforms.

They look like Heer uniforms to me, but it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere. Judging by the architecture alone, anywhere from Languedoc-Rousillon in southern France to Greece, and anywhere in between.

Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back