Third Party Press

Proper finish for repro stock?

bnz44owner

I'm going to buy a repro stock for my bnz 44 kriegsmodell from PPHU. One question I have is whether to get have him put linseed oil and wax on it. I've looked through Kriegsmodell and it has a couple laminated, unstained stocks in it. So my question is, if I have him put linseed and wax on it, is that going to be like the stocks in Kriegsmodell? Or will the linseed and wax make it dark? What is correct for a bnz 44 kriegsmodeel "q" block? Thanks.

From what I understand, these original stocks were either stained or unstained, but they were not factory oiled.

I have a Nov 44 oberndorf that appears to be factory applied wax only. There are some edges here and there where it is "thick" and not completely covering the stock. It is for sure factory as the stock proofs are lighter in appearance where struck. I need to take some detail shots of this to show next time I have it out. I don't know about Steyr though, I'm sure they vary.

I'll probably just have the oil and wax applied then and no stain. Does anyone here have a picture of a PPHU stock they bought? I'd like to take a look at how they came out.

I ordered and paid for a PPHU stock in May but it hasn't arrived. Don't know how long it normally takes to fill orders.

I bought a walnut kriegs stock from Leszek a while back. Took a while to get here, but it was worth it. I got it raw, with no oil or wax, but I haven't finished it yet, as I found an original stock to use.

I'll probably just have the oil and wax applied then and no stain. Does anyone here have a picture of a PPHU stock they bought? I'd like to take a look at how they came out.

My PPHU Fox stock arrived today. The quality is very high, and my original action and all other parts fit to perfection. No additional hand fitting was required. I went with a stained semi-kriegs stock appropriate to a bcd 4, with all markings. My thought was that a pristine white stock wouldn't look quite right with a rifle that's 73 years old and in just short of original new condition. You'll be very pleased. I'll post pics of the completed rifle in a new thread.

Military Rifle Journal
Back