Third Party Press

Found a beat up byf 45 Kriegsmodell at a local gun store for 350

I'm on the margaritas already, bunch of pansy's. Anything is repairable, and the matching bolt makes it worthwhile. I've taken on worse...not always worth the money spent in the end but the satisfaction factor has value. Plus, everyone needs a project or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the margaritas already, bunch of pansy's. Anything is repairable, and the matching bolt makes it worthwhile. I've taken on worse...not always worth the money spent in the end but the satisfaction factor has value. Plus, everyone needs a project or two.

Hey, no Margarita's for you until the book is in the printers hands! There will be time for them AFTER!

:happy0180::laugh:

Interesting rifle too say the least. Guarantee that stock started cracking after prolong firing. Looks like he tried fixing it once by the bolt release handle. Have too say never seen a hex head bolt used in a trigger-guard though! Looks like the same types of bolts I use in my field of work. But too the vet it was just an old German Mauser. Rifle is far from perfect but could be a nice project for you.

And yes worth the money in parts. I have seen collectors buy $60 for Kriegsmodell screws. And that was a piece not a pair.

Thanks for letting me tap into your expertise everyone. I hope everyone has a great weekend and you guys heading to Dallas, well, I hope your staying off IH35! From Austin to Waco is all construction still.

Here's a pic of where the receiver meets bolt, and a pic of the endcap. My plan right now is to get it into another stock sometime. I will then look at the original stock but im likely to leave i the way it is I think if someone a long way down the road wants the "original" stock.

UWfWYTPh.jpg

R4Ig0ohh.jpg

Well, I would keep the stock with the gun if it is original, get another stock for shooting, but the bands and ebdcap are correct for the stock, they are kriegsmodell type, and are VERY hard to find on the loose, so keep them with the stock too...if you decide to sell down the road, you will get better money if you have the original stock and parts for it to a collector...as I said, that is a project I wold take on, it could be a good rescue.

Try backing that bolt out and see how bad the original threads may have been damaged...you MIGHT get lucky, and they found a bolt that had the right threads...maybe....

I am heading back to Dallas in a few minutes from Cuero...on 35 from Austin on up....its not TOO bad...but can't wait till they finish the damned construction...which will probably be never, its the gift that keeps giving for the contractors....:facepalm:

Hoping to hit the Ft Worth gunshow tomorrow with Flynaked....its usually a pretty good show...find more junk I don't need! :laugh:

I never been to that show like to hear a review on it when you guys get back. One day I would like to take the trip to the Tulsa Oklahoma show just to see it.

I never been to that show like to hear a review on it when you guys get back. One day I would like to take the trip to the Tulsa Oklahoma show just to see it.

Tulsa is worth the trip...

Fort Worth is a good show, but not worth driving frim Indiana for! They have a show in Fort Worth every month....you could do a show just about every weekend in DFW....there are a ton of them!

My plan right now is to get it into another stock sometime. I will then look at the original stock but im likely to leave i the way it is I think if someone a long way down the road wants the "original" stock.

I have stocks kicking around but nothing for a very late stock like you would need for that rifle. Understatement of the week would be to say "you are in for a difficult search". And Farb, I have never had a margarita, what's next ? mixed berry wine coolers? :laugh:

I have laminate donor stock fore ends as well, cut at the magazine opening but they are standard configuration, not kriegs.

Fox Military can fix you up with a nice reproduction kriegsmodell stock for about 400 shipped from Poland.

Action screws in

First up I need to give a big thanks to member PZJGR for helping me out with an action screw on a model I know next to nothing about. I dont know you at all, but I can tell by how you helped out a complete stranger your a real nice guy.

So there's this Kriegsmodell with some big giant bolt stuck in the action. Well its my lucky day, the bolt backed right out and with a little bit of finesse PZJGR's original action screw went right into place. While it was on the bench I took the uppper handguard off and unscrewed the barrel bands.

Here's some pics of the operation:

XBYzcP8h.jpg

ULbJfRnh.jpg

PEpaUFWh.jpg

9cq0LcJh.jpg

9QDk2qqh.jpg

8yGBTXUh.jpg

The wood on the front end is looking pretty weathered after I took off the front cap. I see just a few minor rust spots up front also where the barrel meets the handguard. Any advise what this old battle rifle needs next? I want to give it a good cleaning with some CLP, or ive got some ALG synthetic oil on hand. I'm torn between leaving it as-is, repairing the front, or putting it in a new fox stock. The money for a new stock isnt around until after deer season. It feels like any patch to the nose is going to look with where the joint would fall and how weathered the wood is.

Again, thank you for your hospitality around here guys.

Kudos to pzjgr for helping out the new guy, that's what we are all about!!!!

Kudos to pzjgr for helping out the new guy, that's what we are all about!!!!

Hell, its the least I could do to payback the friendship and generosity shown by the guys here when I was looking for tid bits, and you're right, this community here always tries to help each other out....awesome bunch of guys on this board...

Knife Wounds, glad it worked out for you, looks a lot better! It should have one with no lock screw cuts, but didn't have a spare one of those, at least it is un-numbered...

Hey, if you got to the Trader Flynaked has perfect repro endcaps for the Kriegs stock for sale, that would be another part down for it...

Check that, you do have the endcap...well, Flynaked can make a perfect front end for that....

Last edited:
I like how this thread is going and look forward to seeing the rifle finished.Great to see people helping out.

Great thread here and a great restoration project underway! OP we are all glad you rescued that old gun and I think you are too. Thank you for sharing your progress on it. :)

This stock is coated in some kind of red flacky shellac, is that normal? Its annoying me so I could see stripping it if someone added it. Im going to hit up fly and get a nose for it and cut the existing stock down to the barrel band is my plan.

Military Rifle Journal
Back