Third Party Press

Found a beat up byf 45 Kriegsmodell at a local gun store for 350

Hi guys, Newb here. I joined up to get some of your thoughts on a piece of history I found at a local gun store on consignment for 350 next to some Mosins for 350!

You probably wont see me around a whole lot but I have well rounded gun tastes. I like about everything and tend to have a lot of ak's but have always been interested in German ww2 weapons. Ive got a small authentic german helmet collection going kind of intrest going decorating my office. This piece will probably end up on the wall next to my deact rpg launcher.

So here it is. a 1945 beat up Kriegsmodell with cracked stock. All three numbers on it match. I see two waffens and a 135 stamp. A 44 on the barrel, does that mean the barrels from 44? Something is going on with the crossbar it has slid back. Bubba got a hold of it and wedged some big bolt into the triggerguard and it seems like that cracked the stock open. I'd say it was stained somwhere along the way. There are no screws in the metal cover by the barrel band but the barrel band has a screw. And so far I cant find any import marks making it a potential bring-back maybe??

When I see a gun in distress but with good metal I sometimes adopt them if its something i'm interested in. Usually it will be something I know. I dont know Mausers but ive been looking at them researching them lately so when I saw a beat up one for 350 that I could maybe drop into a new stock if I wanted to, I grabbed it.

The story sold to me by the gun store was that their friend inherited this from their grandpa and is not interested in guns. I have known the store owner for six years, they know my family, I stop in to BS sometimes. I do not believe they would lie to me intentionally. They said this is the only piece they have ever sold on consignment for this seller.

Here's some pics, tell me how bad I did. I dont plan on restocking it at this time. Hell ive never even taken a Mauser apart before but that wouldnt stop me.

yW020gAh.jpg

Icj7ai1h.jpg

vUr90Yph.jpg

GNal5fTh.jpg

uOzpKwBh.jpg

lL1QALJh.jpg

cOlo5fch.jpg

bcijkDoh.jpg

RBzK9I8h.jpg

w5vaNF4h.jpg

fcvlsAOh.jpg

JDGaLsrh.jpg

QshgWgph.jpg

PqLXMPfh.jpg

5yP5LxJh.jpg

Wow, someone beat the piss right out of that poor thing....but its worth what you paid just in parts easily....

The stock COULD be restored....someone chopped off the end, so that would have to be replaced, but you seem to have all the metal....the bolt, shudder, hell, I can send you a rear action screw for free....you'd never be able to shoot it with that stock, but if its the original, I'd keep it with it....

Its certainly a project, but one worth doing, IMHO....if you didn't want to take it on, someone would for sure I would guess....

Where in TX are you if you don't mind answering?

Describing as "beat up" is kind! For me, I would not pay 350.00 for it.

Really? Its worth more than that just in parts...un-numbered kriegs bands, a front plate, the bolt, TG, FP and follower group....sight group...I'd jump on it for $350....

Thank you guys for your thoughts on this pristine relic. I am completely out of my league here and can't tell what's been messed with and do appreciate your diagnosis. I'm in the Austin area by the way. If you have a spare triggerguard bolt that's this is missing and are able to hook me up or sell me one, it's a start. I haven't gotten that far as looking for parts yet but saw they are out there.
I'm a sucker for project I guess haha.

Really? Its worth more than that just in parts...un-numbered kriegs bands, a front plate, the bolt, TG, FP and follower group....sight group...I'd jump on it for $350....

Definitely +1. Check individual parts prices on Ebay and GB. It adds up quick. IMO the metal has a nice patina and would clean up even nicer with a clean cloth and some Kroil.

I also think there are several who could/would repair that stock. We've seen several really elegant stock repairs recently, and even a setback repair.

That's one rough sucker! Hammer marks on the receiver? I can see that Bolt being forced into place as a rear action screw and obliterating the threads in the receiver. Check that first!

Byf45 bolts have sold for 350 by themselves, you did fine. Not everyone's cup of tea but certainly a doable project if you're into that sort of thing.

Your right on moconfed about how that bolt is connecting to the receiver. The hole is still round I will give it that. But I feel it's stripped out. The end of the bolt is all mangled like they chisled it with a punch or screwdriver. But I'm confident the threads can be sleeved, tapped, or welded and re drilled.
I would love to know what's up with all the weird wood plugs in the stock, there's like five of them. And how did the receiver get all banged up?

Last edited:
It'd be a fun project. I have a stock it'd drop right in, and a couple friends that could handle repairing that 'bolt fix'.

Let me know if the threads are ok, or you can get them fixed, I'll send you a rear trigger guard screw, gratis...I'd like to see the girl brought back...I think its a worthy project.

I would be interested to hear how the cross lug ended up like that. First time seeing such a thing for me.

So far this rifle needs:
1. Rear action screw
2. Check receiver threads for action screw
3. Repair the cut front
4. Fix the cross bolt. Something is broke up there.
5. Fix the cracks in my the stock.

A few more questions as I ramp up what I'm looking at here. If someone doesn't mind if I pick your brain here.

Where would I get the wood needed to restore the stock? And should I sand it down? There is lacquer flaking my off of it and I don't think it's original.

Thanks again for your advise and support everyone with the 72 year old rifle.

We have a resident "wood smith" here on the forums that can make a proper front end for that stock. If you decide to repair it.

Flynaked makes the wood pieces and Moconfed makes the end caps. We have skills on this site.

Military Rifle Journal
Back