Third Party Press

Found a beat up byf 45 Kriegsmodell at a local gun store for 350

Im going to try taking the lacqer off the weekend with denatured alcohol. It will be my first time taking a mauser action out of the stock, lets see how this goes.

On the picture question, they are hosted on imgur and seem to still work, they might work in another browser?

Stripped the red lacquer off the stock

Well a few hours outside with a can of denatured alcohol got the stock looking much better.

The first few rags were bloody, then they started looking pink, then orange, by the end it looked like wood again, here's some pics.

xb6uUY4h.jpg

pwdHPFNh.jpg

wC83gfQh.jpg

YaypnvVh.jpg

P5VJTxxh.jpg

6Q6aryXh.jpg

Some "FF" stamps came out in the sling hole,
SZ20DAWh.jpg

And inside the buttplate someone scratched a "1947" in there,

3Ief58sh.png

Next up I think I am going to get a repair piece for the front of the stock, and then cut it down to the barrel band and return it to normal size.

I want to wipe some linseed oil on it like I do all my other rifles, are there any problems with that?

Looking good!! I know that some of the guys here use boiled linseed oil on their stocks, but I'm not knowledgeable on stock refinishing so I'll leave that to others.

You're doing a great thing here, cleaning up and restoring an old soldier while respecting its history and trying to make it as authentic as possible. It's going to turn out great and you will have a gun with not only its original story (check out some of the threads here about your model) but the added story of you finding it, rescuing it from an uncertain fate, and returning it to as close to original as possible. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to wipe some linseed oil on it like I do all my other rifles, are there any problems with that?

IMHO it's not 'correct'. Plus there are some other issues. I personally like Howard's based on recommendations of others. Again this is just MHO but this is barely noticeable after a short period of time and certainly does provide some protection for the wood. On stripped wood it improves the visual and textural appearance. Only a little bit is needed. However be warned if you mention this product on Gunboards some people will try and burn you at the stake. Might as well say you're going to put pink tinted high gloss polyurethane on it.

Restoration Complete for now

Here's how she turned out everyone. I'd like to give FlyNaked a huge thanks for coming through with the front stock "nose" repair and got the crossbolt back where it belonged. The old nose was pretty beat up. Thank you everyone who supported me in this restoration and even went as far as to send me an action screw to replace the six point bolt.

I'm real happy with how this 45 byf turned out. When I held this rifle in the shop and got flaky red lacquer all over myself I didnt think the stock would turn out as good as it has. Here's some pic's to check out.

Iol4n0lh.jpg

Crossbolt restored:
istLETRh.jpg

Crossbolt before:
vUr90Yph.jpg

New Nose
0u7gQ8Bh.jpg

Old Nose
9QDk2qqh.jpg

L70q1Zhh.jpg

juMvHgOh.jpg

YuCurFgh.jpg

tnV3ixxh.jpg

Really? Its worth more than that just in parts...un-numbered kriegs bands, a front plate, the bolt, TG, FP and follower group....sight group...I'd jump on it for $350....

100% agreed. I would have dropped the money you paid for it.

Get a cheap sporter stock to shooter it with....and begin restoring the stock.

Flynaked is a true artiste....and does amazing work.

Knifewounds, really glad you took this on, and followed through, really great save! It turned out great!

Wow. How did he fix the cross bolt area?

I won't speak for him specifically but someone else posted a method using stacked shims in that case feeler gauges cut, fitted and stacked to bring the bolt back to it's correct forward position.

Military Rifle Journal
Back