Third Party Press

Geco DSM

Now that I had the time to inspect the rifle a second time, I can state that the serial number on the bolt is different from the serial number on the rifle. Could this be because the original bolt was damaged?

I also discovered the letters 'RAD' just above the receiver. Does anyone know the meaning for these letters?

Today I also took it out shooting and I can say it shot a nice grouping with it.

Attachments

• Foto 6-07-17 20 40 54.jpg
    Foto 6-07-17 20 40 54.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 21
  • Foto 6-07-17 20 42 47.jpg
    Foto 6-07-17 20 42 47.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 19
There is a Known small number of these that are RAD property marked. I have seen at least 3 of these over the years and there is one listed or shown in Small Bores by Speed I think.

There is a Known small number of these that are RAD property marked. I have seen at least 3 of these over the years and there is one listed or shown in Small Bores by Speed I think.

RAD = Reichsarbeitsdienst?

Does somebody got some information about the use of DSM's by the RAD?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the mismatched bolt does affect the value of the rifle. I am glad that it does not affect the function of the rifle, though it shouldn't as the parts are standardized. Still a nice looking rifle that will continue to be loads of fun to shoot.

RAD = Reichsarbeitsdienst?

Does somebody got some information about the use of DSM's by the RAD?

Yes, definitely the Reichsarbeitsdienst. They purchased most of their DSMs from the Suhl consortium originally, but when this one was made that consortium was no longer in the DSM business (nor were several other of the first producers) and Geco was a good source. Politics and "connections" often played largely into where the various government organizations purchased their trainers. The price was strictly controlled, but various sellers did employ some innovative "salesmanship" to sell guns, without breaking laws on price controls or contract restrictions. They may have even allowed the RAD to pick these up in Thüringen after they were proofed, in order to save some delivery/shipping cost. Anyway, that is definitely what the property marking stands for, and the organization by whom it was used.
Steve

Yes, definitely the Reichsarbeitsdienst. They purchased most of their DSMs from the Suhl consortium originally, but when this one was made that consortium was no longer in the DSM business (nor were several other of the first producers) and Geco was a good source. Politics and "connections" often played largely into where the various government organizations purchased their trainers. The price was strictly controlled, but various sellers did employ some innovative "salesmanship" to sell guns, without breaking laws on price controls or contract restrictions. They may have even allowed the RAD to pick these up in Thüringen after they were proofed, in order to save some delivery/shipping cost. Anyway, that is definitely what the property marking stands for, and the organization by whom it was used.
Steve

Thank you for the explanation. I'm looking forward purchasing and reading the upcoming book.
I hope I can find enough information about my rifle. I always like to have some background information on the weapons in my collection.

Sling

I found a marking on the sling. 'HBA 1966'
Someone any idea what this means?

1966 probably meaning the date.

Attachments

• Foto 7-07-17 15 42 26.jpg
    Foto 7-07-17 15 42 26.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 17
Your sling, by nature of the buckle, is probably for a K98k rather than a trainer. Ink stamps such as that are often an ID for the sling maker, for what that is worth. It is not original to that rifle, however.
Steve

Military Rifle Journal
Back