Third Party Press

Elkslayer! (and deer, I hope).

ditch68

I Like Bunnies
Well, I got drawn for a bull elk this year in Northern AZ, and decided not to use my custom sporter Mauser in 30-06, and instead, use a real Kar98k HT sniper.

Before you gasp, here is the rifle:

It is a byf44 "k" block original HT sniper that became a deer gun after the war. I was formerly in a Fajen commercial stock, minus its original rear sight. It also was heavily buffed and reblued (but not the TG/FP for some reason). So it isn't exactly a crown jewel sniper.

The scope is numbered to the rifle with an Ajack scope, with perfect optics. Bolt, TG/FP match the rifle.

I have it in a postwar West German stock. It is nicely Wa135 marked, the front end is not Kriegsmodell, but the rear is. And, the KM buttplate is a checkered sniper type, but the Bundeswehr stamped a serial number on the stock keel and the buttplate face. Bands are stamped welded and unmatching to anything, but finish matched from my parts box as best I could.

I got a good repro strong sling, and added a repro LSR key safety just for practicality with gloves on while hunting.

Then, I shimmed the recoil lug and fit the stock in the action properly as per this article on mausershooters.org, it states the procedure is from an ordinance manual. Good enough for me. http://www.mausershooters.org/k98k/SC_tips2.html

I also ordered a Timney featherweight adjustable trigger for it, that will really help the accuracy set to 1.5 lbs.

Maybe some think it's blasphemous, but it's a good, solid shooter with lots more character than collector value!

I'll report back after a range trip. 196 grain match BTHP Hornaday 7.92x57.

Jeff

PS - anyone else hunt with K98s or snipers?

Attachments

• IMG_20170626_113523.jpg
    IMG_20170626_113523.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20170626_113533.jpg
    IMG_20170626_113533.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20170626_113540.jpg
    IMG_20170626_113540.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20170626_130451.jpg
    IMG_20170626_130451.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Very nice!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a one-round elk!
I hunt with a scoped scw wz29. Ugly, but it works!

That HT looks a bit familiar , is that ? . I wish You success on Your Hunt !!!!!!!!!!
Best Regards

Yes, Dave....it IS familiar!

It survived WWII....it should survive me clomping around in the mountains!

Jeff

Last edited:
I think it's a perfect rifle to take on a deer hunt. It looks like your project came out nicely to! Besides it beats taking your $15,000 and up k98k sniper on a hunt.

Dropped a nice 15 point whitetail with it a few years ago.

Attachments

• 20170626_172246.jpg
    20170626_172246.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 59
Dave, you are correct. That HT really looks familiar for some reason.

It is missing from my Gun Safe and I was wondering where it went! :laugh:

Regards, Al

Well, to be fair Dad, we traded for this one several years back, so if you have been missing it that long, you haven't looked too hard! :laugh:

But seriously, I think it will be a fantastic hunting rifle. I can't wait to see how it shoots with that trigger.

I tried to assemble parts that were not particularly "collectible", but I
wanted to keep the rifle looking as close to original as possible, but not feel bad taking it into the field.

Jeff

That ajack is to drool over. Totally not jealous...
You'll have to post how goes the installation of that timmney trigger, was always worried about having to damage/modifying any stocks.

I hope to be using my K98 sniper soon around the ranch and target shooting when it gets finished.

Well, to be fair Dad, we traded for this one several years back, so if you have been missing it that long, you haven't looked too hard! :laugh:

But seriously, I think it will be a fantastic hunting rifle. I can't wait to see how it shoots with that trigger.

I tried to assemble parts that were not particularly "collectible", but I
wanted to keep the rifle looking as close to original as possible, but not feel bad taking it into the field.

Jeff

Dad? Really? My father got me into 98k's. Wish he was still here. He passed away last year. I'm envious, Jeff.

Military Rifle Journal
Back