Third Party Press

A stock worth its own thread

flynaked

Repo Field Gear Collector
It's not very often I would feel inclined to post a project stock in its own thread, but y'all have got to see this one. I picked it up this weekend from a friend in a BLM "project" rifle, I only looked at it in dim light and when I got it home I realized how good the stock was! It is duffle cut and unfortunately missing the fore end. I will build a forend out of matching figure walnut I have but I don't think I'll even attach it, just assemble it on a rifle and use the cleaning rod and bands to keep it together for now. Ok so it's a bsw Wa4 and nicely figured and untouched. The D/C end is raw and original looking, what I wouldn't give to have this rifle complete an assembled. A younger guy traded this to my friend, I think out of Kansas? Wish we had more info or possible leads on how this mix up of parts came to be, but it had a 237 1938 action in it. Any how I absolutely love this stock as I'm a sucker for nice figure and grain. To me this is like Beethoven's symphony no. 9 carved in walnut! Haha

Attachments

• IMG_9500.jpg
    IMG_9500.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_9514.jpg
    IMG_9514.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9505.jpg
    IMG_9505.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9508.jpg
    IMG_9508.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_9515.jpg
    IMG_9515.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9537.jpg
    IMG_9537.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_9539.jpg
    IMG_9539.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9541.jpg
    IMG_9541.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9524.jpg
    IMG_9524.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_9512.jpg
    IMG_9512.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 104
Wow, that is some pretty awesome tiger striping on that stock....it'll look great on a complete rifle...can't wait to see that in person!

I have to say thats a beautiful Stock . Can`t wait to see the finished project . :thumbsup:

Wow that stock is a beauty! Walnut strip stocks are always nice too look at.

Have too say I'm a sucker for them as well. Have a mint Garand with a stock like this. Picked it out of the rack from a big Garand collector over five years ago. He still asks every time I see him if I still have that rifle. I think he wants it back because of that stock!

tiger striped.jpg tiger stripping.jpg

Very nice! That has a great flame to it, rare to see an M1 with that nice of lumber. Thanks everyone, well lets thank the Germans for making this one. Also yes I can't imagine what a looker this would have been as new! Since we're on the topic of stripes, I'll add one of my favorites on one of my Peruvians. If anyone else has some nicely figured stocks especially 98k feel free to post them, I never get tired of looking at them! I have seen some even nicer than that BSW but they are few and far between.

Wow that stock is a beauty! Walnut strip stocks are always nice too look at.

Have too say I'm a sucker for them as well. Have a mint Garand with a stock like this. Picked it out of the rack from a big Garand collector over five years ago. He still asks every time I see him if I still have that rifle. I think he wants it back because of that stock!

View attachment 154520 View attachment 154521

Attachments

• IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 67
On a 1937 Sauer. Original stock but unfortunately sanded, probably because it's a nice hunk of walnut. Also a nice 1912 Swedish m96.

1937 BB K98k Tiger Stripe.jpg

1912 FSR m96 stripe.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed... walnut is the medium of choice for me too. Some walnut can be like marble (note the byf 42 hand guard) The branded stock is from a Walther trainer, the dark tiger is a bSw trainer, and the light tiger is a bnz 45....

Attachments

• TS.4.jpg
    TS.4.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 60
  • ts.5.jpg
    ts.5.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 36
  • ts.6.jpg
    ts.6.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 37
  • ts.7.jpg
    ts.7.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 40
  • bsw02.jpg
    bsw02.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Excellent Bob! Thanks for sharing, I was hoping you'd post some as I knew you had some killer stocks. I really like mineral streaked stocks too, I love that mint dot43 of yours, just incredible. I have a bit of a mineral streaked one coming in the mail next I'll have to share too.

Here is a sneak peek at my reproduction kriegs stock from Leszek.

Attachments

• IMG_20170627_180529.jpg
    IMG_20170627_180529.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 54
Very nice! That has a great flame to it, rare to see an M1 with that nice of lumber. Thanks everyone, well lets thank the Germans for making this one. Also yes I can't imagine what a looker this would have been as new! Since we're on the topic of stripes, I'll add one of my favorites on one of my Peruvians. If anyone else has some nicely figured stocks especially 98k feel free to post them, I never get tired of looking at them! I have seen some even nicer than that BSW but they are few and far between.

Thats a GREAT Example . Would love to own that , even thought it has no scope on it . :thumbsup:

Indeed... walnut is the medium of choice for me too. Some walnut can be like marble (note the byf 42 hand guard) The branded stock is from a Walther trainer, the dark tiger is a bSw trainer, and the light tiger is a bnz 45....

Show Off !!!!!! More Please !!!!!!

Thanks Dave! I couldn't pass it when I saw it, found it two minutes from my house luckily. Those are some great looking KKW's Bob, Love the marbling!

Thats a GREAT Example . Would love to own that , even thought it has no scope on it . :thumbsup:

That does have some nice grain to it, I have a 42" block of walnut sitting here that is begging to become a K98 stock.

QUOTE=moconfed;199702]Here is a sneak peek at my reproduction kriegs stock from Leszek.[/QUOTE]

Military Rifle Journal
Back