Third Party Press

Sturmtruppen unit marked weapons?

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Hope this isn't a silly question but is there such a thing. As weapons marked for the elite Sturmtruppen units. Just curious.

Hello Warrior1354,

to put it shortly: when war was declared in 1914 the imperial german army officially stopped stamping their new weapons with unit markings. Since the "Sturmtruppen concept" was a wartime invention there are no official unit marking for Sturmtruppen.

As a sidenote.
Interestingly in late 1916 there was a question sent to the german high command regarding restarting to use unit markings but the answer came quickly and was very precise:

"Eine Stempelung der Gebrauchswaffe gemäß Beilage F zur Vorschrift für die Instandhaltung der Waffen bei den Truppen D.V.E. 298a - ist während des Krieges nicht erforderlich". (In english: "the marking of a weapon as described in the manual for field weapon maintenance D.V.E. 298a - is not needed during the war."

With kind regards

Vincent

Last edited:
To add to what Vincent stated, dealing with actual observations, Kar.98a with (cool) unit markings are very rare, most encountered are MG units, Jeff Noll and Craig Brown have both owned them, both I believe are 1916's, plus there are a few others similarily marked, but very rare (real rare, like next to impossible, not just hard to find rare).

If you are looking for Sturmbataillone or Sturmkompagnies unit marked, I have never seen one, not even in books, so I would be extremely cautious or skeptical of any that showed up. If one were to come up, such a rifle would command huge attention, no other subject draws more attention than Rohr (SB #5) and any Kar.98a associated with an SB/SK would be highly sought after. I should also say that, I beleive Jeff Noll, but possibly someone else, has a really neat close combat unit marked 98a, some small organization, but i couldn't find it in my database. It was a long unit marking and quite unique, it is the only thing close to a SB/SK marked rifle I have seen and obviously quite different.

Sturmtruppen marked weapons

There are a handful of S84/98 bayonets documented. I currently cannot recall any rifles. A beautiful 1917 DWM luger made a debut at the Show of Shows last February. As has already been noted on this thread the marking of weapons was officially discontinued in 1916 but as documented through surviving pieces it was not followed by all units.

Attachments

• Sturm K marked 84-98.jpg
    Sturm K marked 84-98.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 65
  • stm btl 14 w16.jpg
    stm btl 14 w16.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Sturm B. Markings 3bayos 1.jpg
    Sturm B. Markings 3bayos 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 65
Thanks for all the info provided guys I thought this would be a decent subject to talk about. And I too have heard about lugers being marked up to 1916 believe there was one posted here that was assigned to a machine gun unit.

Thanks for all the info provided guys I thought this would be a decent subject to talk about. And I too have heard about lugers being marked up to 1916 believe there was one posted here that was assigned to a machine gun unit.

If it's MG unit marked Jeff probably has it...

Paul...my 98a is marked to a Dragoon unit...I think that is pretty cool....:laugh: :thumbsup:

The matching Amberg/09 was pretty impressive, surprised it didn't get more coverage... P08 collectors are difficult to impress.

Military Rifle Journal
Back