Third Party Press

Volume 1 Chapter 1 page sample with unusual aspect - comments needed.

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Check this out. After blowing this one up, low and behold, Gew98s with bent bolts.

Thanks,
B.

Note: Appended page after discussion with CB.

To Stan: corrected mistakes and appended footnotes

Attachments

• Chapter1_p33.jpg
    Chapter1_p33.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Hi Bruce,

"Turbo myš"

Nice,nice, I am looking forward.:thumbsup:

There is small error. In the first German word "Radfahrergewehr" above small pics. There is missing "d"

Stan

Speaking with another collector, regarding these soldiers, I still think the rifles some form of early modification before the adoption of the Kar98b.

Were there other pictures with this? A friend said that he believes this is a picture from a series.

Anyway, all I have to say is this is one hell of a cool picture, on several points it is very interesting, not the least of which because these early pictures are difficult to find, especially with good angles on the rifles.

Check this out. After blowing this one up, low and behold, Gew98s with bent bolts.

Thanks,
B.

Note: Appended page after discussion with CB.

To Stan: corrected mistakes and appended footnotes

Paul even if an early modification, the result would be a Kolonialgewehr. Now figure out which one!
I blew up the photo and there are bolt relief cutouts on all visible rifles with bent bolts.

I agree - one neat image.

I agree it is in the Colonial rifle configuration, as I said in our emails, but I doubt it is a leftover Colonial rifle as I believe this was a local modification (done in the field -think that was CB opinion in his outline of KS rifles years back), and second even if they were done in Germany, and some were still there in 1914, no way, no how would they not get issued during the rifle shortages early in the war.

All known KS rifles are 1901-1903 Spandau's, most 1900-1901, and I do not think it likely a stash were discovered in 1919-1923. Opinion of course.

Paul even if an early modification, the result would be a Kolonialgewehr. Now figure out which one!I blew up the photo and there are bolt relief cutouts on all visible rifles with bent bolts.I agree - one neat image.

I very much doubt that these rifles have anything to do with Radfahrer-, Schutztruppengewehren and not at all with unfinished sniper rifles.
I’d rather assume that these rifles are somewhat like a forerunner of the K98b, shown during a field test.
Caption translates: infantry group in formation prior the order: stack arms
The number 10 on the boards indicates Infantry Regiment 10 Dresden (Saxony), accordingly the soldiers should have white/green helmet shields.

Thanks for posting Wolfgang, I agree with your thoughts. Possibly the idea based upon the KS rifles, or battlefield experiences with the Gew.98, but I too doubt these are leftover rifles.

What I would like to see is the rest of the pictures in this series, assuming there was a series.

I very much doubt that these rifles have anything to do with Radfahrer-, Schutztruppengewehren and not at all with unfinished sniper rifles.
I’d rather assume that these rifles are somewhat like a forerunner of the K98b, shown during a field test.
Caption translates: infantry group in formation prior the order: stack arms
The number 10 on the boards indicates Infantry Regiment 10 Dresden (Saxony), accordingly the soldiers should have white/green helmet shields.

Jon comments.

Jon's comments: Just for the record Lockhoven has studied for more thst 30 years the arms deliveries and use in the German African colonies. He has hundreds of docs about al this along with the Spandau delivery in 1914 for some hundreds of G98 with bent bolts for the mounted troopers in South West africa where they had extra leather scabards made for the 88 rifle with bolts they bent there! So they requested the next load of G98 from Spandau have bent bolts etc. part of the order was shipped but the rest staied behind as thenwar started etc. hans also mentione that it would be A normal depot procedure to bend bolts and do stock work on older g98 to keep guys busy in the period 1920-30 really no big deal here. Regards, Jon

Will follow up with him and see if we can get more data from Lockhoven.

No one is questioning Jon Speed, Lockhoven, - or for that matter CB's experience, they all have more than I do, however common sense is all that is required to doubt these survived WWI, never issued, only to be passed out in the interwar period.

I do agree with Han's last comments and that is what these probably are, an early modification before the Kar98b, possibly inspired by the KS rifles, or battlefield experiences, done by the depots.

I am just saying I do not believe these are leftovers KS rifles, modified radfahrergewehrs, or unfinished sniper rifles. While those are all remotely possible, I think they are much less likely than just some sort of modification done before the adoption of the Kar98b.

Jon's comments: Just for the record Lockhoven has studied for more thst 30 years the arms deliveries and use in the German African colonies. He has hundreds of docs about al this along with the Spandau delivery in 1914 for some hundreds of G98 with bent bolts for the mounted troopers in South West africa where they had extra leather scabards made for the 88 rifle with bolts they bent there! So they requested the next load of G98 from Spandau have bent bolts etc. part of the order was shipped but the rest staied behind as thenwar started etc. hans also mentione that it would be A normal depot procedure to bend bolts and do stock work on older g98 to keep guys busy in the period 1920-30 really no big deal here. Regards, Jon

Will follow up with him and see if we can get more data from Lockhoven.

current thread

Not taking sides but want to flush this out as much as possible before committing to paper.
Finally someone noticed the darkened receivers.

I am leaning toward an early update to the Gew98 by implementing the Kolonialgewehr mods.

Side taking isn't necessary, I too only have an interest in accuracy.

I do not have the answers, I just think that the theories so far discussed are unlikely at best. Are you getting our emails on this?

Not taking sides but want to flush this out as much as possible before committing to paper.
Finally someone noticed the darkened receivers.

I am leaning toward an early update to the Gew98 by implementing the Kolonialgewehr mods.

from a 1925 dated Reichswehr training guide.

Almost looks like they photographed the same soldiers again, but with different rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_5920_.jpg
    IMG_5920_.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 64
In a letter, dated 22nd November 1928, Oberstleutnant (LTC) Erdmann (probably from the RW-ministry) mentioned a field trial with 1,200 modified Gewehr98 rifles with bent bolts.
No further details about the modifications. Sorry.

Military Rifle Journal
Back