Third Party Press

Heer Funker Soldbuch, Eastern Front medal and Italian campaign

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I've got the bug recently to buy some Soldbuchs, Peter always does a great job telling the story behind each soldier. I will NOT do as great of a job as Peter as some items I just cannot read, but much of it I have made some deductions from, so I hope Peter can correct any mistakes I make, this is a learning process.

I can't read the soldiers last name (Cording?), even though I can recognize some letters. His first name was Günter, and it appears he came from Gleiwitz.(Gleiwitz played an interesting role in the start of WW2, when the Germans staged an attack on a German radio tower there as a reason to invade Poland-- if it's true). I'm pretty sure that ethnic Germans born in Poland were granted full German citizenship. Anyway, Günter joined up when he was about to turn 21 - the Soldbuch starts in October 1941.

His first duty station was in the Nachrichten-Abteilung 221, the radio element of the 221 Infanterie-Division. The Nachrichten-Abteilung 221 was dissolved in 1941, but the Stab Kompanie (which was the permanant staff) remained - Günter was in the Stab Kompanie as noted in his promotions (P.3) in November 1942 and August 1943. It's during his service with the Nachrichten-Abteilung 221 that he was awarded the Ostmedaille (Russian Front Medal), August 1942. It's difficult for me to track what action he was involved in - the 221 Infantrie-Division was reformed in 1941 into 3 Sicherungs-Division, the 221, 444 and 454. I can't figure out which one, as the Nach. Abt. 221 doesn't show up in any of those - if I researched further I may find out, but suffice to say they operated with Poland and the job was to keep lines of communitcation open from Germany to the front. Many of the Sicherungs-Division had Police elements attached which committed war crimes against civilians, but I doubt this fellow was involved in that, as his specialty was communications.

He remained a part of the Nachrichten-Abteilung 221 until November 1943 - at that point, the Nachrichten-Abteilung 221 was dissolved and reformed as Armee-Nachrichten-Regiment 508, a larger version of it's old makeup. The new unit kept the same Feldpostnummer, which leads me to believe the Stab Kompanie made up the new units core staff. Lucky for Günter (no more Russian Front), the Armee-Nachrichten-Regiment 508 was attached to the 10 Armee as part of the 26 Panzer Division and assigned to the Italian front.

The 26 Panzer-Division fought in the Netto - Anzio battles in 1944. From looking at his Soldbuch, he was temporarily attached to the 13 (IG)/ Grenadier-Rgt. 274 - this was the Infantry Gun Regiment of the Grenadier Rgt. 274. The next assignment, and what appears to be his last assignment, was to the 3 Komp./ 9 Panzergrenadier Rgt. If you look at his Soldbuch, his last weapon issue was January 1944 - this fits with the battle of Anzio and Nettuno. Based on the fact that all entries end there, I have to assume he was either captured or KIA in that area. I have no way to search his name (especially since I don't have it), but the evidence seems to point that way. Also note that there is no photo in the front - I believe that is because he was KIA or MIA before that requirement was fulfilled, something that was required later for security reasons - not sure the dates the photo was required. There are some neat sites showing the 26 Panzer-Divisioin (note 9 Pnz Gren Rgt in composition): https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/11/30/26-panzer-division/

One other note, for the majority of his time with the Nachrichten-Abteilung 221 he carried a Czech CZ38 pistol, (photo p8d_8a - I've attached an image from P38guns.com showing the type, not the exact gun)- note on P.8a " E7 39" ser. "251919". This Soldbuch has a few pages added, I'm guessing since the weapons issue page was full. Looking at the book, I can't see where it's attached though, but there are extra weapons pages (the one with the 1944 entry showing the K98 rifle issue). Also, he did visit the hospital a few times, I'm thinking nothing major. The last time in 41 seems to be 17 days and in the end he is verified as fit for duty.

Also, see this link - members of the 26 Panzer Divisions Nachrichten Abteilung in Rome, January 1944 (same time as this fellows service): http://pixpast.com/stock-photo/germ...ubelwagen-82-26th-panzer-divisions-12418.html

Hope I did this soldier a favor by doing this, and didn't butcher his service. He wasn't an Iron Cross winner or have any fancy combat awards, just a man serving his country.

Attachments

• cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 20
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 35
  • p3_4.jpg
    p3_4.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 24
  • p4_5.jpg
    p4_5.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 19
  • p6_7alt.jpg
    p6_7alt.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 18
  • p8a.jpg
    p8a.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 19
  • p8b_8c.jpg
    p8b_8c.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 17
  • p8d_8a.jpg
    p8d_8a.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 20
  • p9.jpg
    p9.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 15
  • p12_13.jpg
    p12_13.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 19
  • p14_15.jpg
    p14_15.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 17
  • p16_17.jpg
    p16_17.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 17
  • p18_19.jpg
    p18_19.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 15
  • p20_21.jpg
    p20_21.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 18
  • p22_23.jpg
    p22_23.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 21
  • p24.jpg
    p24.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 16
  • ppcz38.jpg
    ppcz38.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 29
Nice Soldbuch!
Thanks for posting it.

His name is indeed Günter Cording.
He was born in Gleiwitz, Gleiwitz was in the interbellum a small German border town in Ober Silesia.

The Germans indeed staged an attack on the radio station in Gleiwitz to justify their invasion of Poland, a wikipage about the incident:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleiwitz_incident
Fake news not only a present day problem.

The German army was just the same as any other army in the world and thus it had a lot of support troops, like for example signal units.

Military Rifle Journal
Back