Third Party Press

New to me matching BYF 44..... So does the smell go away ?

I thought it would be easiest to just post pics from the seller's ad that I bought it from

Attachments

• 20170502_201213.jpg
    20170502_201213.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20170502_115715.jpg
    20170502_115715.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170502_115631.jpg
    20170502_115631.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170502_113937.jpg
    20170502_113937.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 79
Again very nice indeed! Thanks for the pics. I too had a BYF 44 bought back in 95 which was a total M/M. Bot did not match itself. Import from C.A.I. and appeared to have been WELL oiled or cosmoline. Fired it on a sunny warm day and it would bleed oil from everywhere. Only paid $260 for it and sold for $400 5 years back. Sure notice a difference in the overall finish of the metal between early and late production 98s. Am sure you will enjoy yours.

The gun is disassembled, all metal wiped down with Ballistol then the excess wiped off with a paper towel.
It's all sitting in pieces in a closet with two of those scent absorbing rocks.

I'll keep you all updated !!

Nice looking c block. I'm glad you took people's advice and didn't apply BLO. The wood looks fantastic as is.

It still stinks !! Not as bad as before but enough to annoy me.
It's been in a cardboard rifle box for about a week now with the scent absorbing rocks - last night I wiped the stock down for the second time with a damp rag then dried it quick with a dry rag.

I was hoping the smell would be gone or unnoticeable by now.

I haven't had a day off yet to leave it out in the sun outdoors.
And I haven't used any cleaner on the stock. Would ballistol clean and strip off some of the original stock finish / dark appearance ? I don't want to do that.

It still stinks !! Not as bad as before but enough to annoy me.
It's been in a cardboard rifle box for about a week now with the scent absorbing rocks - last night I wiped the stock down for the second time with a damp rag then dried it quick with a dry rag.

I was hoping the smell would be gone or unnoticeable by now.

I haven't had a day off yet to leave it out in the sun outdoors.
And I haven't used any cleaner on the stock. Would ballistol clean and strip off some of the original stock finish / dark appearance ? I don't want to do that.
I think the scent absorbing rocks with the rifle in a box may have been too close in vicinity to each other. Not sure, but I would have left rifle and rocks in a closet.

Just don't go crazy with the Ballistol and it will be fine. Apply a little to rag and wipe down. Definitely need to clean the layer of nicotine off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I did have it in a closet for a day or two before the cardboard box but then I started wondering if the box would speed it up and also if the rocks needed to be "recharged" in the sun so I left them on my roof while at work one day

The Krud Kutter will have all that brown mess come off like rain. My 38 bSw tiger stripe stock came out perfect after several cleanings. Didn't dry it out either but I applied a light oil after and wiped away any extra. Could barely see the tiger when I got it.

bsw37e.jpgbsw37f.jpg

Also both times I've wiped it with wet cloth it makes the cloth brown from nicotine ��

What took years to accumulate in that wood isn't gonna wear off quickly. I'd let it air out for a few months in an outdoor garage, just forget about it for a while. If your in a hurry, use a product like mowzer suggested. How bad does the sling smell, leather usually absorbs odors as well. When leather is exposed to humidity it usually amplifies the odor.

Last edited:
The sling stinks. So bad actually that that is sitting out in the garage !

I guess I just want it to a barely noticeable level right now so I can put it back together and just enjoy it. Maybe a quick wipe with Ballistol will cover up the odor.

The sling stinks. So bad actually that that is sitting out in the garage !

I guess I just want it to a barely noticeable level right now so I can put it back together and just enjoy it. Maybe a quick wipe with Ballistol will cover up the odor.

As others have pointed out, you never want to seal porous materials with oil. It will seal the surface and LOCK in those odors.

Best results I have had with stinky slings is get it wet (it's skin after all) and use a clean rag to hand squeeze the water out until nothing comes out. Then wet it again and repeat. Let it dry and smell it. When it's tolerable I apply saddle soap, work it in real good and let the sling hang for a day, shouldn't be any excess as it works in real well. Works wonders on mildew stink, assuming nicotine will be tougher.

I have owned several Gew 98s like this, or smell musky from being stored an attic or a horse barn. I think your truly better off just taking it apart and letting it sit in the air. I agree with putting it in a closet, cardboard attracts moisture depending on how humid the area is. My 1918 Amberg smelled musky for months but its tolerable now, I just let it air out. Don't use BLO. Modern BLO is chemically different from what was used during that era. I'm not an expert on K98s, but I promise you the stock finish changed drastically during the war. For example, during WWI they switched from Linseed oil to train oil in 1916. Trust me, you can pick out a K98/Gew 98 instantly that's had the old BLO treatment.

getting the smoke out is like losing weight.... took years to gain the weight, so don't expect to lose wt overnight. Take a slow, methodical, and conservative approach. Certainly the metal can be cleaned.... but the porous sling/ wood will take time and patience. I have a night stand where I keep bore stored pistols that had "the" stink.... but in a few (years) ... all gone even when simply placed in a Midwest basement. Bet it would have left sooner if placed in a warm shed/ garage in the summer with good air flow...

Military Rifle Journal
Back