Third Party Press

Desirable Cleaning Kits

USCS03

A friend recently stumbled upon an individual looking to part with 44 K98 cleaning kits. What are some of the more desirable codes he should look for? He saw some late war ordinance tan kits and those are of interest. However, he isn't sure which codes or years he should concentrate on. Any advice I could pass along would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A friend recently stumbled upon an individual looking to part with 44 K98 cleaning kits. What are some of the more desirable codes he should look for? He saw some late war ordinance tan kits and those are of interest. However, he isn't sure which codes or years he should concentrate on. Any advice I could pass along would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your friend should look for:

cmr45 blue
arr4 dual line, blue and tan
arr4 tan
rbl44 blue and tan
ab40 blue
CHdAW tin
CNX capital letters (upper case) with WaA
cnx lower case stamped on the right side
arr43 tan

There are some more rare variations out there, but this is what comes to mind right now.

Last edited:
Would add these:

- rbl44
- rco4
- painted unmarked behälter
- any dual marked behälter

Although variants of both finish and markings on the tins are of interest to those whom collect the RG34, they are not everything. IMHO he should look at the contents (or lack thereof) as equally important in many cases. One to keep an eye open for is a early G. Appel kit with strong (silver color) zinc finish to both the outside & inside of the tin. If early enough the kit will have a pull-thru chain with what looks like two hooks rather than a single patch loop. In addition the early spoon will not have the stud on the handle end to remove the floorplate of a Kar98k. However, orders were later issued for armorers to retrofit these spoons with a stud, so this makes them quite scarce.

Although variants of both finish and markings on the tins are of interest to those whom collect the RG34, they are not everything. IMHO he should look at the contents (or lack thereof) as equally important in many cases. One to keep an eye open for is a early G. Appel kit with strong (silver color) zinc finish to both the outside & inside of the tin. If early enough the kit will have a pull-thru chain with what looks like two hooks rather than a single patch loop. In addition the early spoon will not have the stud on the handle end to remove the floorplate of a Kar98k. However, orders were later issued for armorers to retrofit these spoons with a stud, so this makes them quite scarce.

Unless I'm not completely mistaken, the early "butterfly" style chain was also made by Mundlos.

There is an endless number of "hard to find" variations in finish, markings and contents you would not expect.

Don't forget the G.Appel 1935 with "D.R.P." markings inside the lid.
Early cmr1942 cases with the one-piece reinforcing groove.

If he has a .22 cal kit that is complete, I would be very interested.
Cases and .22 chains are no problem. But the brushes!!! :googlie

Unless I'm not completely mistaken, the early "butterfly" style chain was also made by Mundlos.

Early cmr1942 cases with the one-piece reinforcing groove.

- You are correct Wolfgang. Appel and Mundlos for both the butterfly toggles and the early tools without the stud.

- And also look for the transitional latches on the Hawig/cmr cans .....

- You are correct Wolfgang. Appel and Mundlos for both the butterfly toggles and the early tools without the stud.

Thanks. I wasn't sure, but I think I have a Mundlos butterfly chain in a G.Appel can.

Did Mundlos produce the cans with the one-piece reinforcing groove in early 1942 also? I can not remember having seen one.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Thanks guys. I will let you know how he makes out. The person he is in contact with has 44 cleaning kits and he plans to go thru as many as he can. I will keep you posted.

Did Mundlos produce the cans with the one-piece reinforcing groove in early 1942 also? I can not remember having seen one.

Thanks
Wolfgang

One piece reinforcement indentions can be found on the following behälter:

- Hawig (logo only no date, painted)
- Hawig 1940
- cmr41

- Mundlos 1940
- ab40
- ab41

This was apparently a transitional fabrication technique between the tinned metal/soldered cans and the tension fitted internal inserts with ridge/indention for the painted versions in 1940 into early 1941. The vast majority of 1941 behälter by these makers utilize the improved insert with two reinforcement indentions which continued until production ended.

speaking of complete kits

does someone have a break down of what items belong in the cleaning kit for reference??

say photo's or illustrations

Military Rifle Journal
Back