Desirable Cleaning Kits

One piece reinforcement indentions can be found on the following behälter:

- Hawig (logo only no date, painted)
- Hawig 1940
- cmr41

- Mundlos 1940
- ab40
- ab41

This was apparently a transitional fabrication technique between the tinned metal/soldered cans and the tension fitted internal inserts with ridge/indention for the painted versions in 1940 into early 1941. The vast majority of 1941 behälter by these makers utilize the improved insert with two reinforcement indentions which continued until production ended.

I have seen one cmr42. Not sure about "ab42". But probably the same

Had not known Mundlos also produced the type-1 spoon and "fishhook" chain. Now makes me wonder if that early, unattributed spoon I once had might not have been of Mundlos manufacture. BTW, much commentary on the c.a. 1942 tins with "one piece reinforcing groove". Picture of this, anyone? BTW, I only know of one guy whom has a pretty good number of RG34s, and mentioned to me a couple of years ago he was probably going to sell them off. He is from the Chicago area so, just wondered if it might be him.

Had not known Mundlos also produced the type-1 spoon and "fishhook" chain. Now makes me wonder if that early, unattributed spoon I once had might not have been of Mundlos manufacture. BTW, much commentary on the c.a. 1942 tins with "one piece reinforcing groove". Picture of this, anyone? BTW, I only know of one guy whom has a pretty good number of RG34s, and mentioned to me a couple of years ago he was probably going to sell them off. He is from the Chicago area so, just wondered if it might be him.

- Have both Appel and Mundlos made early tools

- Would also like to see the cmr42 can with the single reinforcing groove - must be an example of using up old stock

- I wonder as well Fred - if we are talking about the same collector was offered ROFR on the rg34 and some late war bayonets but that was some time back followed by no comms

- Have both Appel and Mundlos made early tools - Would also like to see the cmr42 can with the single reinforcing groove - must be an example of using up old stock - I wonder as well Fred - if we are talking about the same collector was offered ROFR on the rg34 and some late war bayonets but that was some time back followed by no comms

Yes...at least that was my thought because of the number of kits, apparent variations reported, and he had mentioned on more than one occasion his intent to move the bulk of them out at some future date. I never pursued this because I was long aware of the ROFR. However, I am sure there are a number of collectors (not just those on this Forum), whom have a substantial number of RG34s as well. Lastly, was hanging my hopes on a nice Ferlach "OMC" duplicate, which was to come my way if & when...

Last edited:
-

- Would also like to see the cmr42 can with the single reinforcing groove - must be an example of using up old stock

Sorry, I did not download the photos and they got lost at the forum where I saw them.

Why do you think it has to be from old stock? Did HAWIG and Mundlos change their production line in 1941 already?

Hello,
finally I got one of the harder to find cleaning kits. ab42 with the single reinforcing groove.
I'll post some more photos when it has arrived.
So far I've only seen very few cmr42 with the single reinforcing groove and this one being the first ab42, I assume that production changed in very early 1942 to the divided groove.
Thanks
Wolfgang

Attachments

• ab42_1.jpg
    ab42_1.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 67
  • ab42_2.jpg
    ab42_2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 64
Are both of yours maker marked? I have one marked & one unmarked.

I missed these questions in the thread, sorry for the delay. Yes Peter, early tools marked G. Appel, MUNDLOS and as you have displayed unmarked.

Why do you think it has to be from old stock? Did HAWIG and Mundlos change their production line in 1941 already?

Good catch Wolfgang, using old stock is not an accurate assessment. Transitional use would be more correct. Two line cans are first observed in 1941 for both makers (HAWIG and MUNDLOS). There are also one line cans observed for both makers into 1942. It appears that both makers transitioned to the improved two line can in late 1941 with some carryover use of the one line type into early 1942.

Good catch Wolfgang, using old stock is not an accurate assessment. Transitional use would be more correct. Two line cans are first observed in 1941 for both makers (HAWIG and MUNDLOS). There are also one line cans observed for both makers into 1942. It appears that both makers transitioned to the improved two line can in late 1941 with some carryover use of the one line type into early 1942.

Are you saying that there are two line cases made by "cmr" and "ab", dated 1941 out there?
Never seen one of those! :googlie
Thanks
Wolfgang

Just got another rare variation out of ebay.

Mundlos 1939 with single line/groove.
At present I only have two ratty auction photos.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 48
  • s-l1600_1.jpg
    s-l1600_1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 48
The Mundlos 1939 with the single line/groove is a variation I've never seen before.
I had some concerns when I bought it. Thought it might be a put together/fake, but everything looks period original.

Attachments

• DSC_0461.jpg
    DSC_0461.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0455.jpg
    DSC_0455.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0459.jpg
    DSC_0459.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0465.JPG
    DSC_0465.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0457.JPG
    DSC_0457.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0458.jpg
    DSC_0458.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0463.jpg
    DSC_0463.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
The Mundlos 1939 with the single line/groove is a variation I've never seen before.
I had some concerns when I bought it. Thought it might be a put together/fake, but everything looks period original.

Hi Amberg,

100% period original !

Due to the few known examples, the introduction of the single-line reinforcement groove in the firm Mundlos must have occurred at the very end of 1939.

Here another example.

Antoni

Attachments

• Mundlos1939c.JPG
    Mundlos1939c.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Mundlos1939b.jpg
    Mundlos1939b.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Mundlos1939a.JPG
    Mundlos1939a.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 43