Third Party Press

Corrected a Past Mistake Today

Wilhelm

Or maybe made another one!

* ** For various reasons I missed out on the modern German made MP44 that was imported some years ago by PTR and sold as the PTR44.* I had wanted one of these since I was a kid but prices had gotten (and still are) so high on originals that I just could not justify spending the amount of money required to obtain an original.* ell, after several years of never ending delays, 200 were imported about seven years ago.* The initial price was $4300 but that quickly changed to $5000 once PTR saw just how much demand there was for these rifles.* I wanted one in the worst way and was prepared to spend the dough but my research on various German sites revealed that there were some serious problems with various parts of these new made rifles.* I decided to wait and see what would happen before buying one figuring that, if there were problems with the initial batch of US imported ones, they would get worked out in subsequent batches.* Welllllllllthat turned out to be a dumb decision.*
**** Out of the initial 200, only 150 were actually offered for sale due to quality control issues.* They sold out FAST anyways.* The issues were so severe that PTR decided not to import anymore.* As for the ones that did get sold, fatal flaws started showing up quickly including receiver deformation, broken bolt carriers/bolts and other issues.* I was glad I didn't buy one.....for a while.* Well, my want for one didn't go away and the prices on originals kept climbing.* Even the now made junkers sold from time to time at astronomical prices.*
** One day, I decided that I was just going to have to give in.* I still couldn't stomach buying an original for half of what I owe on my current house so that left the PTR44.* I started looking a little....then more and more......and more.* Long story short, I ended up finding one that the owner had bough new, put 50 rounds down the pipe and then stuck it in the safe for fear that it was going to self destruct like so many others have.*
*** I drove to his town with cash in hand.* I didn't want to have it shipped.....I was too close to have something go wrong now.* Because he was in a different state, it had to go through an FFL and there was a slightly tense moment when they saw my Maryland driver's license but we got it worked out.* Meeting the original owner face to face turned out to be a bonus.* We hit it off immediately and he even took me out to lunch at a local brewery using a bit of the money I had just given him......now that's Class!*
*** It's the end of a long journey but now another is about to begin.* The problems can be repaired and I know exactly who to send it to.* That will be the beginning of another journey.* Eventually, I may, just MAY get to actually shoot it!* What a concept!!!*
*** So, I am going to document the journey.* It started today.* I'll take pictures of what I am starting with and I'll update step by step from buying replacement parts, sending it off to the excellent gentleman who is going to rework it into a useable rifle and then finish with the first 1000 rounds much as I am currently doing with the SMG FG42. That reminds me, I need to update that.* I have some news to pass on to everybody.* Anywho,* I'm sure I'm going to have ups and downs along the way and I'm no doubt gonna' get poor doing it but I WILL end up with a fine rifle at the end of the path; I'm sure of it.* Now I just gotta' remember to keep telling myself that.* Here are the first few pictures.* MANY more will come as time goes on.* Stay tuned if you want to be bored and get a laugh at how stupid I am!
Day 1:

With the SMG FG42:

See you soon!

Last edited:
That's exactly who it's going to. I've already introduced myself to Pete.

BUT, so much good information was lost on the old G/K 43 forum and the thread is so long and convoluted on this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to start from square one and just document the process step by step.

Wow, when I read the title I thought "There we go, another divorce story..."

Anyhow, welcome to the club of broken op-rods and jamming bolts, a private club with less than 200 members. Hope you have enough money left for your annual contribution, and there will be contributions as certain as a sunset following a sunrise.
Reach deeper into your wallet, have Pete look it over and fix what ain't broken -yet. These rifles are a hoot to shoot and I'm looking forward to seeing your famous brilliant close ups of your latest acquisition.
:thumbsup:

Wilkommen! The journey with my PTR started last Thursday upon receipt at my FFL. Original owner passed away sadly so no history on it. Upon disassemble looks like zero rounds down range but parts appear to have been changed. My internals are all unfinished unlike yours. Thank you for posting and I think we all have similar beginnings when it comes to the fondness with this particular rifle. Painted and weathered them in miniature as a kid and rented a real one at a battle back in the 80s. Looking forward to watching your ride and dialing in mine.

Prost!!

OMG ... you finally did it.

Wilhelm finally bought one !?!?! OMFG !!!! Did you stop taking your Ritalin? Okay - so this means I'll soon see a unicorn in my back yard tonight and by the end of the week Congress will have balanced the budget !!! F'n A !!! Welcome to the club buddy. :thumbsup: Hope you got your original WW2 op rod, disconnector, and safety handy. And ... make sure you have some welding tools available so you can add some needed material to that weak receiver area. While you're at it ... make sure you fix the canted front sight post and be prepared to add a bit of material to the dust cover so it closes properly. And before I forget ... buy at least 2-3 original WW2 magazines so it will feed correctly (or if you prefer buy 2 other new rifles instead ... hmmm... 3 old rusty mags. or 2 new rifles ??? ... hmmm...) Or you can add material to the repro. magazines so they fit snuggly into the magazine well - owners choice on that. Did I forget something ... ? I'm sure I did ... Oh yeah ... buy your complete WW2 bolt so you can have it fitted to your rifle for a spare ... cuz we all know about those mountains of available spare parts !!! Woohoo !!! BTW - shout out to dingo for getting some parts to us. :thumbsup:.. Awesome work mein freund. Hmmm... what else ... (drumming fingers) ... I'll edit later.

Once you have completed the above (and have skipped out resurfacing your old driveway and given up on the idea of that new roof on your house), you will have a frickin' awesome firearm ... that you will be afraid to shoot. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: OR ... alternatively ... you can be like Kelly and just let it sit in your gun safe and do nothing but fondle it every few months.

Welcome buddy. LET US KNOW HOW IT SHOOTS !!!!

Wilhelm finally bought one !?!?! OMFG !!!! Did you stop taking your Ritalin? Okay - so this means I'll soon see a unicorn in my back yard tonight and by the end of the week Congress will have balanced the budget !!! F'n A !!! Welcome to the club buddy. :thumbsup: Hope you got your original WW2 op rod, disconnector, and safety handy. And ... make sure you have some welding tools available so you can add some needed material to that weak receiver area. While you're at it ... make sure you fix the canted front sight post and be prepared to add a bit of material to the dust cover so it closes properly. And before I forget ... buy at least 2-3 original WW2 magazines so it will feed correctly (or if you prefer buy 2 other new rifles instead ... hmmm... 3 old rusty mags. or 2 new rifles ??? ... hmmm...) Or you can add material to the repro. magazines so they fit snuggly into the magazine well - owners choice on that. Did I forget something ... ? I'm sure I did ... Oh yeah ... buy your complete WW2 bolt so you can have it fitted to your rifle for a spare ... cuz we all know about those mountains of available spare parts !!! Woohoo !!! BTW - shout out to dingo for getting some parts to us. :thumbsup:.. Awesome work mein freund. Hmmm... what else ... (drumming fingers) ... I'll edit later.

Once you have completed the above (and have skipped out resurfacing your old driveway and given up on the idea of that new roof on your house), you will have a frickin' awesome firearm ... that you will be afraid to shoot. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: OR ... alternatively ... you can be like Kelly and just let it sit in your gun safe and do nothing but fondle it every few months.

Welcome buddy. LET US KNOW HOW IT SHOOTS !!!!

HAHAHA!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!! I was talking to Frydaddy just the other day. He says "Mine is shooting fine. I just put 150 rounds through it last week." I'm calling BS on that. He also tells me people hire him to shoot groundhogs on their property and he uses it for that. HAHA!!!! I love him but he's got reality issues.
But yeah, I gave in. I hate it but I gave in. It's this or nothing I'm afraid. Owning little plastic army men holding tiny MP44's just wasn't enough for me. It's like they were taunting me with their little plastic rifles......they vex me. I just had to give in and get one. It makes as much sense as trying to smell the color nine. I'm coming to Alaska and living in a bus out in the wilderness.....just me, a sleeping bag, my insanity and a sturmgewehr. See you there buddy!

HAHAHA!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!! I was talking to Frydaddy just the other day. He says "Mine is shooting fine. I just put 150 rounds through it last week." I'm calling BS on that. He also tells me people hire him to shoot groundhogs on their property and he uses it for that. HAHA!!!! I love him but he's got reality issues. But yeah, I gave in. I hate it but I gave in. It's this or nothing I'm afraid. Owning little plastic army men holding tiny MP44's just wasn't enough for me. It's like they were taunting me with their little plastic rifles......they vex me. I just had to give in and get one. It makes as much sense as trying to smell the color nine. I'm coming to Alaska and living in a bus out in the wilderness.....just me, a sleeping bag, my insanity and a sturmgewehr. See you there buddy!

LMFAO As long as we can make a trip to the local brothel 1 or 2 x a month, I'll join you ... we can go visit 2 Tooth Sally. LOL Missin' ya brother !!!

I'm coming to Alaska and living in a bus out in the wilderness.....just me, a sleeping bag, my insanity and a sturmgewehr.

I heard Fairbanks Municipal Transit bus #142 is ready for a new occupant. Just know the shallow spot where you can safely wade through the river.
... and don't feed on the crazy potato seeds. Oh, you already did, you bought a PTR44.:laugh:

I heard Fairbanks Municipal Transit bus #142 is ready for a new occupant. Just know the shallow spot where you can safely wade through the river.
... and don't feed on the crazy potato seeds. Oh, you already did, you bought a PTR44.:laugh:

LMAO x 2 !!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back