Third Party Press

Polish mauser bayonets

Rittmeister

Hello guys! Visited a huge fleamarked to day. Very little militaria to find, but I ended up with these two polish mauserbayonets. If I have identified them correctly I think this is a WZ.24 and a WZ.29 bayonet. They are both made of Perkun, and have probaly been blued and rebuild by the germans during WW2.
What I did not figure out is where does the scabbards came from? They do not look polish, but the bayonets fits perfect in them. Could it be a type of german scabbards?
One of them came with the frog on the pictures. It has no markings, but looks like the German from WW2. Hope you like them. Regards Arvid

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 48
Hello it was done by germans probably the rework,yes correctly named previos WZ.24 and WZ.29 bayonets, the scabbards doesnt look polish,when not heavily refurbished from older type of scabbards, it could be reworked from S84/98nA old scabbards of WW1 period?, the frog looks like some of dress type of german KS98, brown lackered leather. b.r.Andy

Very nice examples. From experience, (eliminating the many Polish Mauser bayonets which were obtained by Spain and refurbished by them), about half of all Polish Mauser bayonets I have seen are German reworks, and the remainder unaltered Polish issue. Here are my own examples (top to bottom):

Polish/German reissue Wz28 "FB RADOM + D in octagon" & "Polish Eagle |WP" Full German rework with blued finish to bayonet and scabbard. Note German modification to throat w/retention springs and securing screw moved to upper front edge of scabbard.
Polish issue Wz22 "Zbr4 & Polish Eagle| WP"
Polish issue Wz24 "PERKUN + M in Triangle" & "Polish Eagle|WP"
Polish issue Wz28 "FB RADOM + D2 in circle"
Polish issue Wz28 late production "F.B.| RADOM" + "Polish Eagle |1939" Original finish is a very dull, matte-blue/gray. Possibly from factory inventory taken during German occupation.

Attachments

• PolishBayoArray.JPG
    PolishBayoArray.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 64
Very nice examples. From experience, (eliminating the many Polish Mauser bayonets which were obtained by Spain and refurbished by them), about half of all Polish Mauser bayonets I have seen are German reworks, and the remainder unaltered Polish issue. Here are my own examples (top to bottom):

Polish/German reissue Wz28 "FB RADOM + D in octagon" & "Polish Eagle |WP" Full German rework with blued finish to bayonet and scabbard. Note German modification to throat w/retention springs and securing screw moved to upper front edge of scabbard.
Polish issue Wz22 "Zbr4 & Polish Eagle| WP"
Polish issue Wz24 "PERKUN + M in Triangle" & "Polish Eagle|WP"
Polish issue Wz28 "FB RADOM + D2 in circle"
Polish issue Wz28 late production "F.B.| RADOM" + "Polish Eagle |1939" Original finish is a very dull, matte-blue/gray. Possibly from factory inventory taken during German occupation.
Nice reworks. You say the first one is complete rework with blueing on scabbard, do you know if the scabbards on the other ones were painted by the Poles, the Germans or post war?

Nice or better excellent pieces by PWCO, the green paint is mostly origin polish done over blued surface, the first Wz.29 is reworked by germans, i assume the grips were replaced too. The most desirable piece is Wz.22, nice Wz.24 and Wz.39 of later mobilisation period 1939 marked, some were E/77 proofed by germans, b.r.Andy

The first Wz28 bayonet has a gloss-blue finish. I believe this is partly due to the bayonet having seen very little service use both before and after it was refurbished by the Germans. The grips are very crisp as well. The Wz22 has an interesting scabbard. The finish is baked black enamel and has Polish markings and a serial number on it. My understanding is these came in a Austrian M95 scabbard originally. Perhaps this was a Polish replacement or upgrade. The last three have original Polish greenish-brown painted scabbards.

Last edited:
Polish collectors mentioned a Wz.29 as without flashguard, problem is that post 1933 all bayonets without barell ring on crossguard were declared as Wz.27 and with barell ring as Wz.29.
As the M95 were used by Poland in 20ies i assume the scabbard even looking as M95 design were already made by them for the Wz.22 bayonet, i saw already a german S84/98nA german designed scabbards too.b.r.Andy

Polish collectors mentioned a Wz.29 as without flashguard, problem is that post 1933 all bayonets without barell ring on crossguard were declared as Wz.27 and with barell ring as Wz.29. As the M95 were used by Poland in 20ies i assume the scabbard even looking as M95 design were already made by them for the Wz.22 bayonet, i saw already a german S84/98nA german designed scabbards too.b.r.Andy

I agree Andy. There has always been confusion about Polish Mauser bayonets and their designations. I found a article posted on the Internet over ten years ago which was very helpful and made a hard copy. Unfortunately the link I have is no longer valid. The article was called The Five "Really" Polish Bayonets. I do not know whom the author was, either, but the link was from Poland. However, he designated the five models as Bayonets wz22, 24, 25, 27, & 28. Part of the confusion regards minor changes on some models. For example, the author mentioned the first wz28s (made in 1930/31) had flashguards and the second version without was made until 1939. If you like, I can send you what I have in a PDF format. I also understand Adam Lubas has been working on a book about Polish bayonets for many years, too.

Last edited:
Thanks i have the article, is of Tomasz Pietrzak when i remember correctly.But there are already more sources about polish bayonets, on War relics was some times ago link to a new articles.b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back