Third Party Press

G.24(t) Removing Handguard

Dou

The G.24(t) handguard looks to be troublesome to remove, I would appreciate any advice.

I wouldn't remove it. My understanding is that they are damaged pretty easily during the process.

I wouldn't remove it. My understanding is that they are damaged pretty easily during the process.

I agree. I wouldn't remove one unless it was absolutely necessary. Same thing as with a Vz-24 hand guard. The spring steel clips are attached to the hand guard by a pair of small screws then it clamps around the barrel. It sure seems like that metal spring always works much better than the wooden hand guards are durable. It is very easy to strip the barrel retaining clip off of the hand guard or to crack the hand guard.

I had one years ago, all original though duffel cut. When selling it the buyer insisted to see it apart, today I'd refuse, then I used a nylon screwdriver looking thing to pry the clip up off the barrel. Luckily the removal and reattachment went without incident but I was the most nervous I can recall short of when I used to defuse mines in the Corps.

If it has to be removed, it's easier and safer to do it after removing the stock. Then you can access the spring clip, oil it a bit, and poke at it with a soft material drift. Trying to pry up on while still in situ in the stock is a recipe for pulling out the screws, and/or marring both pieces of wood.

From what I've read & heard, laminate G.24 hand guards are extremely fragile.

I've never had an issue removing my 24t, or 33/40 hand guards. Just follow the precautions others posted and make sure the stock is removed first. Remove the top
Screw in front of the rear sight and lift the rear sight leaf up as you ease the handguard off the barrel. The handguard needs to pivot 90 degrees so it won't contact the rear sight as it's lifted free. If you go slow you should not have an issue striping the two shallow screws holding the tension band to the handguard.

I apologize for posting this on the wrong part of the forum, I see the German contract rifle section now. While on the G.24(t) subject what is the rarity of a flat butt plate walnut stock 1942 G.24(t). Curious as I don't know a lot about these rifles.

I apologize for posting this on the wrong part of the forum, I see the German contract rifle section now. While on the G.24(t) subject what is the rarity of a flat butt plate walnut stock 1942 G.24(t). Curious as I don't know a lot about these rifles.

Don't worry about it. We are happy that good people ask good questions.

I tried one more time to remove the handguard with no luck, I'm not going to push the issue. If it isn't broke don't break it, that is what I'm going with. I will hopefully post pictures soon.

Military Rifle Journal
Back