Third Party Press

Help with scope mount ID

I bought a sporterized BYF44 a few months ago on Gunboards. The metal was in great condition except it had been drilled and tapped along the left side. The rifle did not come with a mount or anything. I have some desire, since the holes are there, to put a scope on this rifle to use for hunting. I was hoping there might be someone on the forum who could tell me what kind of scope mount this rifle may have had. I'd like to scope this rifle using a mount that will fit the existing holes, if possible. I do not intend to drill this rifle any more than it has been.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. I would very be grateful.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

It is no German military adopted mount, at least none that I can think of. It also doesn't look like the Russian pattern. With the three holes it needs to have a scope base with a step in it, so not easy to solve..

It is no German military adopted mount, at least none that I can think of. It also doesn't look like the Russian pattern. With the three holes it needs to have a scope base with a step in it, so not easy to solve..

Yeah, I figured this might be a tricky one to figure out. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here. Thought it would be worth a shot.

Why won't you drill it anymore? It's already been drilled and the stock heavily sanded. It's not going to harm the value any more, and a decent repro sniper set up might actually increase the value some.

Why won't you drill it anymore? It's already been drilled and the stock heavily sanded. It's not going to harm the value any more, and a decent repro sniper set up might actually increase the value some.

Well, that was the thought I had originally, to make a sniper repro. But I guess the byf44 didn't use a LSR mount but instead used tower mounts. I would feel kind of bad drilling the top of the receiver AND having holes along the side. Guess I could still do an LSR anyway.

What do folks on here think about this?

Military Rifle Journal
Back