Third Party Press

found these in an old building can anyone give me any info?

cali

I found these documents in an old building and im just trying to get some information. I know one is a work book and the other a passport. Im trying to find out information on the people. Were they on the Nazi's side/victims? What does protected citizenship mean? Also this is not my type of collectable so I would like to sell these or find living relatives. If I sell them, what should I ask for and where is the best place to sell them?

Thank you for any information.

Attachments

• 20170808_203137.jpg
    20170808_203137.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170808_203354.jpg
    20170808_203354.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170808_203400.jpg
    20170808_203400.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 94
It is a work permit for foreigners, there were a lot of foreigners working for the Germans. These appear to have been voluntary workers as the Germans had also a lot of forced labor provided by foreigners. Those in the latter category were not issued the work permit. Harry

If I'm reading it right they're Polish laborers (masons or brickies) living in Braunschweig. I believe the 'protected' part was to keep them from being scooped up by the Gestapo or any other cleansing units? Deemed essential workers?

It is a work permit for foreigners, there were a lot of foreigners working for the Germans. These appear to have been voluntary workers as the Germans had also a lot of forced labor provided by foreigners. Those in the latter category were not issued the work permit. Harry

That's very helpful thank you

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

If I'm reading it right they're Polish laborers (masons or brickies) living in Braunschweig. I believe the 'protected' part was to keep them from being scooped up by the Gestapo or any other cleansing units? Deemed essential workers?
Oh wow thats really interesting. Thank you for that bit of info

These "Arbeitsbucher" or labour booklets were issued to all people that worked in Germany, German nationals and foreigners, Germans had the brown example, foreigners the green one.
Every person that worked in Germany, forced labourers excluded, had right to social security benefits, with this official document that had to be kept up to date by the employer, workers could claim these benefits.
They weren't issued for security reasons like an ID card for example.

Recently a whole lot of these green labour booklets came on the market, I presume from some archive source.

I found these documents in an old building and im just trying to get some information. I know one is a work book and the other a passport. Im trying to find out information on the people. Were they on the Nazi's side/victims? What does protected citizenship mean? Also this is not my type of collectable so I would like to sell these or find living relatives. If I sell them, what should I ask for and where is the best place to sell them?

Thank you for any information.

During the war Germany had a shortage of workers, not only directly in their war industry but in every branch of their economy.
To remedy this problem Germany recruted workers all over occupied Europe, initially workers were lured with high wages and extra benefits, this program wasn't a big success, working in Germany was dangerous because of the allied bombings and most people didn't trust the Nazi's.
The next phase was that Nazi's forced unemployed people in the occupied countries to accept job offers in Germany, they did this by halting the payment of unemployment benefit. Many people in occupied zones were unemployed because of the war, for example the stevedores in the big ports because of the allied blockade and people that worked in factories that were destroyed by the war.
Also this program wasn't a big success, people simply went in to hiding.
As a result the Nazi's started man hunts, they agressively hunted down unemployed people everywhere in occupied Europe, those caught were deported to labour camps in Germany.

Another big category of the work force were the POW's, all EM could be forced to work.

To come back to these Arbeitsbucher fur Auslander, despite that their recrutement programs weren't a huge success, a lot of people accepted employment in Germany, simply because they needed the money and were scared to go underground.
Were these people victims of the Nazi's? Yes and no, it was because of the Nazi's that they accepted work in Germany but their working conditions weren't bad, of course they too suffered from the allied bombings on German cities.
Because of racial politics, all foreign labours coming from Eastern Europe had to were patches on their clothing and they were restricted from fraternizing with German nationals, Western Europeans didn't have these restrictions.
But all foreign workers were forbidden to have sexual relations with women whoes husband was at the front, the German police kept an eye on this and penalties were severe, public humiliation included. Germany wasn't a fun place to be during the war.

..Every person that worked in Germany, forced labourers excluded, had right to social security benefits, with this official document that had to be kept up to date by the employer, workers could claim these benefits.
They weren't issued for security reasons like an ID card for example..

Thanks for the clarification. I honestly thought these were part of their 'total identity'. "Ihre Papiere bitte" :laugh:

'found in an old building' this caught my eye. I assume thereby that these were NOT part of a militaria collection, and may have been brought to the US by original Passinhabers themselves.
Many Poles were scooped up as laborers and after the war were placed in 'Displaced Persons' camps, where (depending upon nationality), they could petition for immigration to various countries. Combined with camp-issued papers, these documents would help, in the absence of any others, to establish and verify identity. Interestingly also, some DPs resettling to US brought whatever they had, and occasionally you see a 3R-related backmark on china that they brought from the camp.
My Polish uncle(-in-law) was actually born in Hohenfels when it was being used as a DP camp, his mother had been brought from a tiny Polish town (oddly enough about 10Km from Auschwitz) to work in a Bavarian factory. They were approved for Australia but then an opening for the US came up and they settled in Chicago. She though pitched all her stuff once she joined the club (became an American).

During the war Germany had a shortage of workers, not only directly in their war industry but in every branch of their economy.
To remedy this problem Germany recruted workers all over occupied Europe, initially workers were lured with high wages and extra benefits, this program wasn't a big success, working in Germany was dangerous because of the allied bombings and most people didn't trust the Nazi's.
The next phase was that Nazi's forced unemployed people in the occupied countries to accept job offers in Germany, they did this by halting the payment of unemployment benefit. Many people in occupied zones were unemployed because of the war, for example the stevedores in the big ports because of the allied blockade and people that worked in factories that were destroyed by the war.
Also this program wasn't a big success, people simply went in to hiding.
As a result the Nazi's started man hunts, they agressively hunted down unemployed people everywhere in occupied Europe, those caught were deported to labour camps in Germany.

Another big category of the work force were the POW's, all EM could be forced to work.

To come back to these Arbeitsbucher fur Auslander, despite that their recrutement programs weren't a huge success, a lot of people accepted employment in Germany, simply because they needed the money and were scared to go underground.
Were these people victims of the Nazi's? Yes and no, it was because of the Nazi's that they accepted work in Germany but their working conditions weren't bad, of course they too suffered from the allied bombings on German cities.
Because of racial politics, all foreign labours coming from Eastern Europe had to were patches on their clothing and they were restricted from fraternizing with German nationals, Western Europeans didn't have these restrictions.
But all foreign workers were forbidden to have sexual relations with women whoes husband was at the front, the German police kept an eye on this and penalties were severe, public humiliation included. Germany wasn't a fun place to be during the war.
Very interesting...after looking into this couple i found where they lived in my town and i got a copy of the ships manifest when they came to America. There lives must have been very interesting. Im sure not always in the fun and exciting way but they definatly have a story.

'found in an old building' this caught my eye. I assume thereby that these were NOT part of a militaria collection, and may have been brought to the US by original Passinhabers themselves.
Many Poles were scooped up as laborers and after the war were placed in 'Displaced Persons' camps, where (depending upon nationality), they could petition for immigration to various countries. Combined with camp-issued papers, these documents would help, in the absence of any others, to establish and verify identity. Interestingly also, some DPs resettling to US brought whatever they had, and occasionally you see a 3R-related backmark on china that they brought from the camp.
My Polish uncle(-in-law) was actually born in Hohenfels when it was being used as a DP camp, his mother had been brought from a tiny Polish town (oddly enough about 10Km from Auschwitz) to work in a Bavarian factory. They were approved for Australia but then an opening for the US came up and they settled in Chicago. She though pitched all her stuff once she joined the club (became an American).
I bought a building that had a hoard upstairs. In a box full of papers i found these. They were not part of a collection and was in one of the worst parts of the building. I'm surprised that they survived as well up there. And yes the couple resided in my town so they must of brought these with them. I tried to find family but there obituaries don't say they were survived by any children so i don't think they have any family over here.

If i were in there shoes, i think i would get rid of all my paper work to, once i didn't need it. I can't imagine they hold any good memories.

Is that a picture of the dude, then the dude with his moustache shaved off and a dress on? The Nazis were cool with that?

Is that a picture of the dude, then the dude with his moustache shaved off and a dress on? The Nazis were cool with that?
Nope that is his wife. Both are accounted for on the ship manifest

Military Rifle Journal
Back