Third Party Press

G98/40. Was told to share here

Posted on another forum and was told to share here because you all would probably know more about this than anyone else.

I have a 1941 G98/40 with all matching sn's. Is in great condition (at least i think so, few rust spots but its old) and shoots true. One of my favorite rifles and my only WWII rifle. I am obviously somewhat curious on value but have no interest in selling. I am more curious about the rifle itself. The history behind them, etc. I have googled here and there and I know it was a contracted hungarian piece and i know there would only around +/- 33000ish made in 1941, stuff like that. was more so hoping to find out some information or history about these from all of you fine folks since the ole' google machine doesnt have a plethora about these rifles.

I have scrolled through a few posts now and feel like i am in the right spot since most of the google results i get are more modernized versions of the rifles with sporting stocks, and mismatched parts.

i dont really know what questions to ask to learn more about this, so im just going to post this up and hope to get some replies, maybe some conversation. Worst case, Ill at least get the opportunity to share some pics of the rifle. I do not have any pics saved on my laptop, so i created an imgur album on my mobile the other day, and ill just post that up. Hope that isnt too inconvenient for anyone and i hope you enjoy the pictures. If there are any requests for pictures not in the album, i would be very happy to oblige. thanks for reading, -JD

http://imgur.com/a/XYz88

From your pictures it looks like an exceptional example of a b block jhv41 G98/40. I haven't seen many in nicer shape. The early guns, jhv41 and jhv42, are hard to find. Most you see in nice shape are jhv43.

Not much to say about the rifles really. They are based on the Hungarian 35M, and changed to incorporate a Mauser style bayonet lug, Mauser Box Magazine, German style sling arrangement, and chambered in 8mm Mauser instead of the Hungarian 8x56R. The Hungarians would later adopt the rifle as the 43M except using their own bayonet stud and 35M-style sling swivels instead of the German sling cutout.

That really is a nice G98/40 and a early made rifle too. Scare too find this nice. I believe at the 2017 SOS show I saw around five G98/40 rifles that were made in 1943. I did not see a early jhv41 or jhv42. If they were sold it was done before the show was set up and was between dealers only.

Thanks for posting and sharing this fine piece of craftsmanship.

And welcome too the forum as well.

thank you both for your kind words. its a great rifle. every time i shoot it i think of the history behind it, and me and my father always talk about how cool it is to shoot that rifle. i cant wait to let him shoot it when he is better.

Last edited:
The only part i am currently missing is 1 band screw for the front of the rifle. i have no idea where to find one, any tips on where one might acquire something like that?

Nice rifle

Unmessed with. Super nice rifle. Not a lot of 41's. Looks like head of screw knocked off? Kind of cool the way it is.

Upper band screw

A lower band screw from an M95 straight pull mannlicher will fit your upper band, although it will be a bit long and will need to be trimmed. Finding an original will be difficult.

A lower band screw from an M95 straight pull mannlicher will fit your upper band, although it will be a bit long and will need to be trimmed. Finding an original will be difficult.

Thank you sir. I will look for one of these. Yea, ive been looking on and off for a few months with no luck. doesnt make sense to buy a full rifle for just the 1 original screw haha

I'll be at the NGD show in Lousivlle in September shopping lol!

I'll keep an eye open for you.

Lots of part dealers down there.

Military Rifle Journal
Back