Third Party Press

Rare Police(?) Hungarian 35M

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
First interesting pick-up I've had in a while.

This 1939 dated Hungarian 35M is one of the very rare 'RE' prefix rifles.

I'm almost sure these were made for and delivered to the Rendőrség, the Royal Hungarian Police (not be confused with the Csendőrség, the Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie). The "normal" 35M production used single letter blocks, starting in 1938 with the 'A' block and ending with 'E' block probably around 1941 (late E blocks are undated) as the G98/40 rifles entered production. The 'RE' prefixes are a completely separate run far outside the Army's numbering system, and they were apparently produced in very low numbers. The highest known SN known is only RE-23XX, and though it is undated, RE-2157 is known and dated 1941. So maybe 2500 over a three year period?

The other unusual feature is the stacking rod. Virtually all 35M rifles have a small stud which secures the rear of the bayonet in place, but my research could only find *one* other rifle with a rod which coincidentally is from the RE block (RE-XX). RE-686 has been reported and I assume it has a rod also but I could not track down the rifle. I think all of the 1939 guns will have the rod, but interestingly, the two 1941 dated rifles, RE-2157 and RE-23XX, have studs instead of rods. I think there may have been a second order of these in 1941 once the war started that continued with the existing serial number sequence, and they decided to just go with the stud instead for whatever reason.

This police/stacking rod theory is further bolstered by a diagram I found of the 35M in an undated Rendorség manual (probably from 1939 or 1940) which seems to show a stacking rod (labeled 'tuske') inside the mounted bayonet. The bayonets will apparently still mount over the rod, and the wear pattern on this rod supports the idea, but I do not have one to confirm it. The manual also includes the Walther PP, designated the 39M by the Hungarians, which is neat.

The overall quality of the rifle is exceptional. The action is easily the smoothest I've ever handled, even better than my Dutch rifles, and fit and finish are excellent. In the typical Hungarian fashion (prior to the 43M anyway), only the barrel and buttplate are numbered. Everything else is unmarked.

Attachments

• Rifle Right.JPG
    Rifle Right.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Rifle Left.JPG
    Rifle Left.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Barrel Top.jpg
    Barrel Top.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Receiver Left.jpg
    Receiver Left.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Receiver Right.jpg
    Receiver Right.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 82
  • Mag Right.jpg
    Mag Right.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Mag Left.jpg
    Mag Left.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Mag Bottom.jpg
    Mag Bottom.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Rear Band Left.jpg
    Rear Band Left.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Rear Band Right.jpg
    Rear Band Right.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Front Band Left.jpg
    Front Band Left.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 68
  • Front Band Right.jpg
    Front Band Right.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Rear Sight.jpg
    Rear Sight.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Stock Left.jpg
    Stock Left.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Stock Right.jpg
    Stock Right.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Buttplate 2.jpg
    Buttplate 2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 82
Some scans (not the best quality) from the Hungarian Rendőrség manual. Also, a still from a Hungarian wartime newsreel showing men with stacking rod 35M rifles. I could not find the film, so I don't have any idea when or where this was filmed or who these men are.

Attachments

• 35M Police Manual.jpg
    35M Police Manual.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 35M Police Diagram.jpg
    35M Police Diagram.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 35M Tuske.jpg
    35M Tuske.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 64
  • hungarian bicycle troops.jpg
    hungarian bicycle troops.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 87
Ryan you did incredible well on this rifle and was really happy too see you get this piece. Truly quite a scarce piece too located in any condition let alone this nice. :thumbsup:

Wow, that is a really beautiful 35M! What a great score.

These rifles are so cool, and you just never see them. I am lucky enough to own an "A" block....

Interesting info on the police connection, and stacking rod. Not much information on these rifles out there either.

Thats so true pzjgr not alot of info out there on these. I have seen them for sale on gunbroker rarity, but never at a big show.

Believe it or not I was offered one of these just last week. Personally I think they are cool looking pieces.

They are also an interesting companion piece to a 98/40, and of course to complete the trifecta you'd need a 43M...the one I am still missing!

I am curious if you have taken it down completely....I am curious about markings on metal and wood. My '39 A Block has quite a few markings hidden that you only see when its completely apart. Might be interesting to compare the markings to see if they were different on the RE prefix guns...

The stacking rod 35M rifles have been identified with bicycle troops in the past. That photo seems to lend some credence to that.

Pat

I am curious if you have taken it down completely....I am curious about markings on metal and wood. My '39 A Block has quite a few markings hidden that you only see when its completely apart. Might be interesting to compare the markings to see if they were different on the RE prefix guns...

Not yet, but I intend to. I suspect it will match the A block.

You gun is neat because it is 38 dated and proves these rods were not just an early feature dropped early on in production. These RE guns were purpose built with the stacking rods.

Just a small update.

I didn't think it would happen, but I actually managed to pick up a RE block 35M bayonet. This is the only one I have ever even heard of, and I wasn't sure they even existed. It was not treated well, and the scabbard has sadly seen much better days. A few flecks of the original factory applied green paint is still left at the top of the scabbard. Luckily, the bayonet hasn't been messed with though, so it still needs some rust cleaned off.

Fits!

Attachments

• DSC_5465.JPG
    DSC_5465.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_5466.JPG
    DSC_5466.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_5463.JPG
    DSC_5463.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_5468.JPG
    DSC_5468.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_5471.JPG
    DSC_5471.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_5473.JPG
    DSC_5473.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 24
Excellent find! I've seen photos of a couple, but you're correct, the RE block are much more difficult to find. Congrats!

Military Rifle Journal
Back