Third Party Press

Another noob.

I will be honest right up front. I found this forum while searching the net for information on a K98 and ammunition that I am trying to sell. I don't consider this rifle a collector's piece as it is not in the original stock, one number does not match, and it is missing the front sight hood. 2 of the numbers that I think would matter seem to match, but I really don't know what I don't know about this rifle. I believe the 1000 rounds of ammo I have is Argentine AP manufactured in 1954 based on the head stamp "A A 54" and the steel(?) bullets. I also have 1 new box of Federal 170gr soft points, which really makes no difference to the package overall.

I can easily send pics from my cell phone to another cell phone, but I have difficulty getting pics posted online when re-sizing is involved - I will try to post pics here if anyone wants to see them. I will also answer any questions as best I can.

As to why I would sell it - my daughter's college bills are expensive, and this has been a safe queen since I got it years ago. I have never even fired it.

Mauser K98
byf 43
Proof marks visible but worn.
Serial # 32836 h
Number on bolt handle - 2836
Number on back of bolt - 8732
The number "36" is stamped on the top left across from the bolt handle, just forward of the safety.

I figure that I will find some information by reading here, so If anyone can direct me to an appropriate thread about either the rifle in general or the ammunition, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I will start searching the forum when I get time to read later.

Ron

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! You should post a few photos of what you have so we can give you some help.

Pics.

Finally managed to get some pics up.

Attachments

• Mauser K98 001.jpg
    Mauser K98 001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Mauser K98 002.jpg
    Mauser K98 002.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Mauser K98 003.jpg
    Mauser K98 003.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Mauser K98 004.jpg
    Mauser K98 004.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Mauser K98 005.jpg
    Mauser K98 005.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 44
Hi, and welcome!

Your rifle is sporterized and doesn't retain any collector value. The bolt has been force matched and is not original to the rifle. As far as value, I don't follow sporeterized guns but I imagine it's less then $500

Hi, and welcome!

Your rifle is sporterized and doesn't retain any collector value. The bolt has been force matched and is not original to the rifle. As far as value, I don't follow sporeterized guns but I imagine it's less then $500

Pretty much as I figured. I am asking $850 (not including shipping) for the entire package on a local forum. I hope it sells locally so the shipping will not be an issue.

Thank you for your help.

Military Rifle Journal
Back